BBWX2 and VX2 ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I purchased the BBXW2 weather box to interface with my VX2 c-map machine. I have a green light on the box so the signal looks good. I plugged it into the number 2 port on the slave VX2 unit. When I plug it in , it kicks out the sounder and the radar on the slave unit and wont record bearing and such. I set up the hot page but get no weather information at all.

When i unplugged it from the VX2, the sounder and all speed over ground and bearing information comes back but the slave unit now wont turn on on the radar array.

I could use some help. Thanks

You can NOT connect a nework item like the weather unit to data port 2. Data 2 is for NMEA 0183; not network. You should use the Network connection.

Thanks for the reply Johnny. Do you think I damaged my radar? I hear the click in the VX2 when I go from stand by to radar but the array wont turn. It will turn on from the master vx2 however.

Also could you please elaborate more on the network connection? They sent me a cable that fits that port on the vx2 not sure why. Should i be converting that end to a ethernet connection?

i HAVE AN OPEN PORT ON THE NETGEAR. IS THAT WHERE I SHOULD BE PLUGGING INTO?

I would recommend focusing on one issue at a time.

The back fo the Vx2 display has "Data" ports and a "NETWORK port".
NEtwork port.jpg

Your weather unit is a network device and should be properly wired to a network connection.

The BBWX2 weather unit has four network ports. You can connect one of these to the network connection on the back of the NavNet. If you already have a network hub connected to your NavNet (like a Netgear) then you can plug the weather unit (BBWX2) into the Netgear network (using a normal RJ45 Ethernet cable).

Do you think I damaged my radar?

No, but having your network item connected your NMEA 0183 data port isn't a good thing. I don't expect you have damaged anything.

I hear the click in the VX2 when I go from stand by to radar but the array won’t turn. It will turn on from the master vx2 however.

It sounds like an installation or networking issue. Your slave unit should not have a click going into transmit. I would suspect you have the radar source setting wrong in the slave unit setup.

I AM ASSUMING YOU MEAN THE RADAR SET UP. I AM GOING TO GET THE WEATHER STATION UP AND RUNNING AND THEN CHECK THAT THE RADAR SETTINGS ARE SET THE SAME IN BOTH UNITS AND GO FROM THERE. YOU ARE A HUGE HELP. THANK YOU.

Ok Johnny,
I thought I would have the BBWX2 up and running by now. I updated the software. I have a green light on the unit. I have all the soft keys related to the new unit now showing. I have the color scale on the left hand side of the screen. I have the grid and can change the zones and it will give me a new zone id number for each location, but all the data below the id number like wind and wave is is blank. The RX : Good.

What I do not get is any data. No wind . No wave. No temps. No reports and no animation. What direction do you think I should go in?

i should also mention that I have plugged the unit into the navgear network and that seems to be one problem solved. I also have all the weather displays set to on.

You must subscribe to Sirius weather with Sirius (1-800-869-5480) and be within the USA footprint for the service. Please ensure your Sirius unit is on when Sirius activates it. After activation, power cycle the receiver and the NavNet.

Hey Johnny,

I have done all that. Like I said I have a green light on the unit and the RX: GOOD is showing on the unit. I did wait for over an hour whe I first activated the unit a few weeks ago but I still can not get any data to appear. Where should I look?

The green flashing light and RX:GOOD have nothing to do with your subscription from Sirius. These can be this way even without an active subscription.

Please check your ACTIVATION STATUS. From your weather screen hit MENU, then SIRIUS WEATHER INFORMATION, and then RX STATUS. Tell me what it says next to ACTIVATION STATUS.

Hi Johnny,

The radio Activation Status : 1 07 -1

It also says at the bottom of the screen position unknown. Do you think maybe that the cable is bad between the BBXW2 and the navgear?

Thanks

Johnny thankyou for sending me in the right direction. We called Sirius and they resent the signal and now its working. Appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back