Autopilot Pump Sizing

fishN4Dad

Hello,

I have a Seastar HC5358 steering cylinder with a volume of 8.34 in3.

I am looking at either the Octopus pump OCTAF0612 (0.6 in3/sec) or the 10 (1.0 in3/sec).

The Furuno Autopilot manual (NAV300), recommends a pump that will provide 10-16 seconds HOH. The 06 model seems to fit the bill at 13.9 seconds.

However, when I look at the pump description on GPSStore.com, the 06 model is listed for steering cylinders less than 8.0 in3 and the 10 is listed for cylinders 7-12 in3.

Is it better to go with the pump with the higher output? The OCTAF1012 would be 8.34 seconds HOH.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but my helm is a Seastar HH5271 with 1.7 in3.

Thank you for your help!

We recommend the PUMPOCT06-12 up to 8 cubic inches BUT yours is over that. The PUMPOCT10-12 is rated 7-12 cubic inches; which your's falls within. So, it sounds like you need the PUMPOCT10-12. Typically you are looking for a 10sec hard over time if not slightly faster. Although it might work slower than 10 seconds, it will most likely have problems fully controlling the boat especially during very hard currents.

There is only one advantage that I can think of. That is if you plan to add the FPS8 to the system. The FPS8 will only fit the accu-steer. I have been very pleased with the newer Octopus pumps we are selling.

Back