Autopilot for a small center console boat

GUS

I have a 180 Grady White Fisherman and want to add a furuno autopilot.

The boat has a standard SeaStar Helm and steering cylinder with 8.34 cubic inches volume.
Engine is a 150HP 4-stroke mechanical Yamaha, no Helm Master.

I currently have a 15" TZ2 MFD, PG700, Diff3D and NEMA2000 network.

What Autopilot system and pump do I want?

With the Seastar components, it looks like they use proprietary thread connections & fittings on their helm & cylinder which they call "ORB".

Would the Furuno pump use these too, if not, would the Seastar pump work with the Furuno controls? I ask because I think it would be difficult to get hoses and/or "Ts" with different fittings on each end.

You would want the Furuno PUMPOCT10-12 to run that steering cylinder. https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/pumpoct10-12
I would recommend the lower cost Navpilot 300 to run the pump for several reasons.
https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/navpilot_300
One is it is lower cost than the NP711C. Next you have a needed heading source (PG700) already so rather than get another you don't need whenever buying the NP711C, you get the NP300 that doesn't come with a compass. The NP300 comes with a wireless remote that is very nice that you don't get with the NP711C. The pump will use ORB (and comes with many) fittings so it is a very good selection for your steering system.

Johnny, in reading the Operators Manual for the NavPilot 300, I really like (need) the "Safe Helm Mode". the way I understand "AUTO Mode", just running on a compass heading, that I would need to switch off the Auto Pilot to standby to use the steering wheel. Would much rather be able to grab the wheel and miss the crab pot.

Anyhow, the Operator's Manual states that this mode only works with the Accu-Steer FPS drive unit. Any other issues with this pump and ORB fittings? Can I program the NP300 so it always comes up with Safe Helm mode whenever i go to Auto mode?

Sounds like we need to ask them to conduct an update to the NP300 manual. The accu-steer infomation is old. The FPS8 is no longer sold.

SafeHelm can be done with the pump I suggested but you would need to add the new SafeHelm sensor called SafeHelm2.

https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/safehelm2
It also uses ORB fittings

While you can conduct safehelm, you won't get power assist unless adding an outboard RRU. Because your boat is smaller, i would say you don't need power assist nor the hassles of an outboard RRU which tends to get broken.

Johnny, I am "finally" getting ready to buy this system. Quick question, my first post stated a steering cylinder volume of 8.34 cu in.

You recommended a pump for a volume range of 10-15 cu in. in looking at options, I see there is a "same" pump recommended for 6-9 cu in.

Should I stay with your original recommendation or buy the smaller pump?

Well, that's pretty "clear as day", in the NAVpilot FAQ, it describes this pump for 10-15 cu. in. cylinders, but "I'll go with it.

LAST QUESTION....on installing the SAFEHELM2, the manual states for single helm vessels "there should not be a "T" fitting installed between the SH2 and the helm. But it is somewhat recommemnded to install the "T" right on the helm. do you see an issue with installing the SH2 on the helm and the "T" right next to it?

The Safehelm2 sensor is an in-line sensor (either on the port or starboard line). The T you are talking about adding is for your pump?

Thanks for pointing out the FAQ. It was old prelim information that changed down the road. I will let them know to update that FAQ so it matches the rest of the product pages.

Yes, the "Ts" , according to the pump manual get installed right at the helm port & starboard ports to go to the pump and the steerring cylinders.

Attachments

• auto pilot hoses.jpg
    auto pilot hoses.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 11
These part of the instructions is important.
1689080235691.png
1689080892143.png

I would say a short run of hose should go from the helm downwards with enough to try to have the sensor mounted horizontal in a good location, then put your tees off those hoses there. On the pump side of the tees, I would recommend adding cut off valves so that the pump could easily be cut off in any pump leak situation. If not for air, the sensor could go right on the back of the helm pump. You need to drop the sensor down below the helm so it doesn't accumulate air.

RRU is not required for steering assist. I've been using it for a couple months with that same pump and a single outboard and no RRU. I think "steering assist" is a little bit misleading though. When you turn the wheel, the pump runs and basically turns the motor faster so fewer turns of the wheel are required to go from lock to lock. You can adjust the settings so this only happens at slow speeds and you can change how much it speeds the turn. It's pretty nice for slow speed maneuvering such as when docking or pulling onto a trailer when a lot of drastic motor movements may be required. All of the documentation for SafeHelm seems out dated and I've never seen any reference to a RRU being required other than here on this forum. I read a lot and asked a lot of questions before purchasing and it was pretty difficult to find reliable answers. I do think it should be part of your system.

I am "under the assumption" that the SafeHelm, pretty much disconnects (or shuts off pump commands)the pump from trying to stay on a heading when one grabs the wheel to miss an obstacle or change course. Can you confirm or correct me Johnny?

Also, I received the SafeHelm, none of the 6 separate fittings fit into the fittings that came attached to the SafeHelm. What kind of ports are on the outputs of the safehelm with the two "adapters" connected to it, I don't see that in the manual?

Attachments

• Safehelm.jpg
    Safehelm.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 3
The sensor; senses hydraulic flow to let the pilot know that you want control of the helm. The pilot simply pauses the navigation (stopping the pump commands/voltage) allowing the operator to hand steer. When the operator steers back to in the direction of original course and releases the helm the pilot will resume (un pause) and resume navigation. Normally without safehelm, the helm will be entirely locked out during AUTO or NAV operations of the pilot. You would be required to go to STBY to hand steer without having Safehelm.

Thanks Johnny................again. Can you define the threads on the SafeHelm, maybe with and without the installed fittings on it?

No, the packing list "picture" shows the SafeHelm and 8 seperate fittings.

The SafeHelm comes shipped with two fittings attached (like the safehelm brochure picture) and 6 extra fittings (per the packing list description with sizes). My question is what are the threads on the brass safehelm and the attached fittings (none of the 6 seperate fittings thread into the safehelm attached fittings).

The threads on the brass part of the SafeHelm switch are female 1/4" NPT. If the adapters that came pre-assembled on the switch are not what you need to tie into your helm, you need to remove them and install the correct ones that match your helm. The adapters provided cover most of the helm systems out there, but there may be an instance where you could need to find a different set of adapters in that case.

Back