Changed Autopilot from Garmin to Furuno NavPilot 300 but pump not moving Yamaha 300's

kpaulhus

Hello,

I changed my autopilot from Garmin (with a 1.2L pump) over to a Furuno NavPilot300PG-S with the Octopus Pump 1.0. The garmin was rated for cylinder volumes 6-14 cubic inches, and the Octopus 1.0 is rated for 7-12 cubic inches. I have twin Yamaha 300's with the Uflex hydraulic steering system. The Garmin pump worked, but now after installing all the new Furuno equipment, the motors are not moving, but I can hear the pump working. Wondering if I installed in incorrectly, or if the 1.0 Pump was not correct and I should have went with the 1.6. If the 1.0 is not big enough, would it not be able to move the motors at all? I have bled my steering system and motors move fine when I turn the helm, but not when I use the autopilot during setup (despite hearing the pump run).

Really hope I didnt make a $400 mistake by ordering the wrong pump.

The pump selection is based on the total ram size on the boat (if you have 2 rams, then add them together). If the Garmin pump was made for 6-14 cu in, then the PUMPOCT10-12 --that you have-- is most likely correct. We would need to know the total ram size to be sure. The pump wires would be connected to the motor connection. I've attached the interconnection diagram for the NAVpilot 300 and the installation guide for the Octopus pump. After physical installation, the rudder test would need to be accomplished. If that is not done, then it may not work either. Press and hold the wrench/return button and press the stby button 3x quickly; go to dockside setup; select rudder test.

Attachments

• octopus_pump_installation__guide.pdf
    967 KB · Views: 7
  • NAVpilot_300_Interconnection_Diagram.pdf
    127.4 KB · Views: 6
Thank you. I will give it a shot again with the rudder test. Everything seems to be installed correctly per the instructions. I would assume that even if the pump was too small, it would be able to move the motors a little bit, or very slow, instead of not at all. Going to try and bleed the system again as the pump was not running when I initially did it, so there might still be some air in there.

I confirmed each ram size is 7 cubic inches, so 14 in total. Kind of puts me right in the middle specs for the 1.0 and 1.6. Hoping the 1.0 will work out after I bleed it again.

Last edited:
Two rams at 7 cu inches each seems way to much for 2 engines...are you sure there are 2 rams and not just one? Also, a bigger potential problem...Are the Yamaha engines using the optional Helm Master EX steer-by-wire system? If so, that system is not currently compatible with the NAVpilot 300 and actually originally required a Garmin autopilot.

Two rams at 7 cu inches each seems way to much for 2 engines...are you sure there are 2 rams and not just one? Also, a bigger potential problem...Are the Yamaha engines using the optional Helm Master EX steer-by-wire system? If so, that system is not currently compatible with the NAVpilot 300 and actually originally required a Garmin autopilot.
You’re probably right that is way too much for 2 engines. I’m on the boat now and am slowly getting the autopilot to move the engines so I think I’m going to keep bleeding them or have a pro come out with a power bleeder system. I do not have any helm master controls as these are older engines. I think it will work out just need to keep playing with it.

Wanted to provide an update after fishing an overnight tournament. The autopilot works, but I get the low voltage message every time I set a heading. Havent had time to play with it but am going to get my tester out there and make sure all connections are good.

The only low voltage message that I could find is relating to the input voltage to the processor from the mains. I would check that. It's possible that the slow moving rudder could be related to that problem. The rudder should move from hard-over to hard-over (when using the dodge keys) in 9-14 seconds if working properly.

Depending on length of wires used to power the pilot and the length of wires to get to the pump, your voltage can drop if the wire gauge is too small for the distance and current needed.

Back