adding AIS

G

Grady28

I was able to install a larger 8 port hub this past weekend and get the BBWX1 installed and Sirius Weather working. Thanks for your help with this. Now I'm thinking i will add AIS since we plan to do a lot of overnight trips. Once I get the receiver, connect it to power and antenna and the hub, what else is needed? I am running the latest software and c-map on right ghost unit and navionics on main left unit. This doesn't seem that hard. It was suggested that I upgrade my radio to a new one with a AIS receiver but I have no idea if that can be connected to VX2 and show up on screen. Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I missing anything here?

The NavNet Vx2 supports AIS via the Network with the FA30, FA50 units, or the commerical FA150 with optional network board. The Vx2 can also accept NMEA 0183 AIS infomation from Furuno and other companies suitable AIS units. Adding the FA50 would be as simple as connecting the unit to your Furuno Network and adding a good quality AIS whip antenna. You would need a PC to configure the MMSI into the FA50 when you first set it up. Let us know how it goes. :capt

Hi, I too would like to connect my AIS receiver to my NavNet VX2. I have a Standard Horizon GX2150 with AIS reciever. Currently it is connected to a NorthStar GPS for positioning. MMSI is programmed and AIS targets show on the radio but I would like to connect via NMEA 0138 to the NavNet to show these targets on the chartplotter. Which of the COM Ports do you suggest using? Thanks

The GX2150 manual made my head hurt. I downloaded the newest manual from the web and found page 20 seemed to indicate that you can use the GX2150 Yellow (+) and White (-) AIS output (34800) into the plotter. In this case it would be Yellow to Furuno Yellow and White to Furuno Green. When I looked at some of their example drawings for other plotters; none of the examples were following these colors (shown on page 20). I would highly recommend you speak with Standard about the wiring. Maybe another user can shed some light on this. Our AIS input (data 2 for 10.4") would be Yellow + (in) and Green - (in).

Thanks Johnny,
I will give this a try and will also speak to Standard Horizon about their colors.
Will let you know the outcome in case his can help anyone else.
NH

HI Johnny,

As an update.
I got the GX2150 and VX2 to communicate with AIS.
Using the Gray and Brown wire of the Gx2150 connected to the Green and Yellow of the VX2, setting the ports to 4800 baud and all was well.
Thanks for your help.

Data 2 can run 38,400 if you change the setting in the port setup. Did you try the higher baud rate option from the radio? Just wondering because many time AIS data can exceed what 4800 baud can support.

I have a Navnet VX2 with updated software which works well with a FA30 AIS receiver over the network. Now I require a transponder and have fitted a FA-150 with the RJ45 network connection which is enabled in the setup as "standard". What changes do I need to make to setup of Navnet VX2 or to the FA-150 to get the AIS data to display on the plotters?

I have ben told I have to charge to IP address and port of the FA150. IS this correct?

ANy help would be appreciated

Richard Duffy

The FA150 is a Commercial Deepsea product and not typically connected to the Vx2. Normally the FA50 would be used. If you are using the network option with the FA150, it will connect up just like your FA30 did except you will need to wire up external heading and GPS to the FA150. If you fail to connect all the IMO required data to the FA150 it will error and also cause networking issues with the Vx2.

Thank you for the response. I also though it would work like the FA30.

My FA-150 receives external GPS data, and also heading data in AD10 format from a Furuno SC-50 (which also gets heading data via AD100 from our (antique) Sperry gyro compass). The only data we do not have is RoT. I can see all data on the FA-1502 display.

The FA-150 outputs very well to a VX2 at 38,400 baud: at the moment it is connected to Data 2 port on the nearest VX2 BB plotter; but I was hoping to use network so do not have to have this particular VX2 BB unit switched on all the time, or run long NMEA cables.

The FA-150 LAN IP address is 172.31.24.1 port 10000 and I have enabled the port and set to "Standard" This seems to be the same as the FA30. But I can't even see anything when I connect the FA-150 direct to Internet Explorer (of course, just typing this reminds me that it might need a cross-over cable, which I did not think about!) I have the password to change all the settings. DO you think my network card in the FA-150 might be a dud?

If your hub is an older type, without auto sensing ports, it is important that you have the correct type of internet cables. (straight vs cross) It depends on what was used going to the hub for the other items, whether you need a straight or cross over for the AIS unit. Some cases it is easier to replace the hub with a newer low cost model with auto sensing ports, than worry about it.

For your setup of the FA150, I would recommend you have updated your NavNet to the newest software and that the FA150 transponder has 1.09 software or newer with a display monitor software of 1.07 or newer. If that is all good verify that S2 on mainboard 24P0035 switch #4 on the main board is set to "OFF" (for a NavNet connection). Your subnet mask should be 255.255.000.000, Gateway all zeros, Host Name AIS0, AIS output AIS0= continuous

Thanks again - you have revealed what is the problem, I think.
I checked my unit FA150 - date of manufacture 2005 but was supposedly serviced and updated by Furuno agents late last year, when added the LAN port.
I changed SW3 #4 - all were UP (away from the numbers 4-3-2-1) to DOWN - and in the Initial Setting Menu the LAN port disappeared. I put it back into the UP position and the LAN port reappeared, but only one page of menu - cannot make the selections you recommended.
The diagnostics show
Transponder - Program 1430018-1.05 (I assume 1.05 is the software
Monitor - Boot No. 2450020-1.02, Program No. 2450021-1.04
So it looks like a the software/firmware was not updated. Since the boat is now in Myanmar we are a long way from an agent. So looks as if will have to stick to NMEA for now. Or is there any easy way to upgrade from a PC?

As an IMO device you will want to contact your dealer or service center for update. It is done with a PC but only via a dealer/service center. It most likely will require reflagging after the software has been updated.

I have run out of output ports on my SC-60 !
Can I use one Ad-10 output to feed to both a VX2 radar and also to an FA-150?
(the other 2 Heading Out are used for AD-10 feed to another ARPA radar, reliably and as NMEA output to Navpilot 500.)
Or will this risk run of overloading the port? Distance is less than 2m.
The alternative is to use the SC60's Heading 4 (D9, RS-232 level) output port to feed either the Navpilot 500 heading at TB8 , or input it to the FA150 (to give HDT, ROT and GGA) The distance between SC60 and FA150 is 1 metre, and to Navpilot 5m. Will RS232 level be adequate to drive either of these these inputs reliably, please?

Richard

Unlike NMEA 0183, you can NOT split AD10 to multiple listeners. I have seen people do it but doesn't mean it is recommended or correct. If you need more outputs, it would be best to add something like the Furuno MD550 to expand your AD10. You also do not want to be cross matching RS232 with RS422 and end up with a NMEA level mismatch.

Back