711 Autopilot Rudder error

syrupdawg

I have been running my TZT2 12 system for 2 years now and just started having this problem the last 2 trips out. My 711 autopilot system gives me a "Rudder drive error please turn off and check drive circuit". I can cut it off and it may run 10 minutes or only 10 seconds before it does it again. I have Mercury verado outboards with a reversible 12 volt pump. Using fantom feedback not a rudder sensor. The first trip it did it after only 30 or so minutes on the boat the 2nd trip it did it I had been using the system all day (ran over 100 miles with it engaged) and the last 25 miles I had to hand steer. What could all of a sudden be causing this?

Good morning Syrupdawg,

When the pilot gives a rudder drive error it can be caused from a couple of different things. For example, if the vessel is heading off course and autopilot needs to correct the course it sends a command to the pump to move the rudder to get back on course. If the command is sent and the vessel does not respond with a change in heading then it will cause a rudder drive error. So basically we need to figure out if the pilot is giving a command to engage the pump and the pump does not work? Or is the pump just moving too slow for the course change?

When you sit at the dock and you put in a goto waypoint say 40 degrees to port or starboard and then choose Navigate on the pilot, do you see the engines move to port or starboard? If the engines move they will continue to move up until a certain point but it will eventually cause a rudder drive error because the engines moving but no heading change?

I would also rerun the dockside settings and pump test to see if it passes?

Yes the pump runs at the dock if you put in a point for it to navigate to. I also set at the dock and manually turned the knob with it engaged all the way from side to side and it worked fine. I'll have to do the dockside setup again when I get back to the boat

My 711c just did basically the same thing - quit working on my last trip and gave me an error about rudder speed, etc.
I went back into the dockside setup and ran through the rudder calibration and test process... twice. I think the rudder drive level was initially 4 but after rudder test it was set at 12 IIRC. My AP unit worked better than ever after doing this. It tracked straighter and with a lot less of the constant pump action and swerving that I was used to.
Good luck.

Back