711c Rudder drive fail error

Nikm820

My 711c with Fap-7002 keeps intermittently giving me “rudder drive fail” error. I have to turn it off, back on and it works fine. Sometimes for hrs sometimes for only a few minutes.

Ran dockside wizard and it did fine and ran the purge procedure back and forth many times and never had an issue. Pump turns the engines just fine.

Sometimes it happens running and sometimes it happens idling.

Anyone have this issue and resolved it?

Thanks
Nick

Triple 350 Verados, virtual rudder

Rudder drive fail is the system saying it commanded the engines (aka rudder) to move but there was no indication that they responded to the pilot commands. Are you trying to use the pilot below 3 knots? COG isn't valid below 3 knots. If you plan on using the pilot at very low speeds below 3 knots you should consider getting a RRU added to the system. If this happens above 3 knots, then it might be a problem with where the pump is plumbed into the hydraulics system or a bad check valve.

I opened the ecu and found one of the connectors loose and that resolved the issues while running. The issues have returned with all the connections tight. My plan is to send the ecu in for a bench test.

Back