Bearing to Waypoint 'shifts'

J

JordanBigel

So, I have a TZT2 and several FI-70s with N2K backbone of course. I've had the system installed for almost 3 years, but due to the pandemic, etc., .etc., I've only really used the boat for anything more than a daysail about 3 or 4 times since then.

Last week on a 80 mile passage to a nearby island, I observed repeatedly the BRG-M readout on the FI-70 change by 10 degrees (as did the COG). But, the bearing displayed on the TZT2 does not change.

Here's an example - we're heading on a course of 270M, our target waypoint is 50 miles away, our COG is 270M also, and that's what I see on both the TZT2 and the FI-70s. But, then, all of a sudden for no apparent reason, the Bearing to waypoint shifts by about 10 degrees to 280M and at the same time, the COG also changes by the same amount! What?

But when I look at the TZT2 the bearing to waypoint remains the same as it was for the last 20 miles (our cousrse did not change of course) - and after a minute or three, the FI-70 reverts back to showing the previous (correct) BRG-M and SOG. Meanwhile, the TZT goes on displaying the same bearing and COG the whole time!

I should add, the TZT2 is configured to use a Simrad GS-25 GPS, the built-in GPS in the TZT2 is not enabled and no GPS antenna is connected to the TZT2.

Additionally, according to boot up diagnostics, the FI-70s are running version(s) (App/Boot) 2651031-01.08/2651030-01.01 - the TZT2 is still running version 5.01 - I have downloaded version 7 and have been planning to update it but have not got around to it yet...

Is this something which is a known issue or am I in crazy land now?

PS. I thought if I should post this in the TZT2 channel, or in the "Instruments" channel and decided this would get more exposure. Sorry if that was a mistake, but I really dont know if the problem is in the FI-70 (which I always thought got all its data from the TZT2) or if the problem is with the TZT2 sending the wrong data over the net.

Thanks!
Jordan.

Both the FI70 and TZT2 have source selections to choose which source you are looking at. I always recommend running current software to avoid any past issues that have already been taken care of. Once on current software with all units, ensure you have them both looking at exactly the same source data.

I know this post is a bit old, but I wanted to follow up and report that I found the solution which was that I found in the FI-70 Data Source page all the sources for each data item, but they were all locked down, because the FI-70 is in "Sub" mode, slaved to the TZT2. However, one option was showing ------------- and it was "Navigation" - when I selected it the only option was the TZT12 which I selected, and after that the problem has not re-appeared again.

Back