1971F Mirror Control to Android

RCavender

So I did the update, and as I understand it my phone needs to be an enabled wifi hotspot to make this happen. This serves as the access point for the 1971F to find and get the IP address to then enter into the mirror control app.

What happens if I'm out at sea 20-25 miles and out of cell phone range? Will this feature stop working? Any help appreciated.

The plotter isn't going out to the internet or need it to make this function happen. The WiFi is just a link so the phone and plotter can talk together within the distance of that wifi signal. It doesn't care if your kids can call you on the water or not. They just talk directly together. Think of it like you and your wife in a room together in Texas talking, then you are in a room together in Germany, can you still talk to her there? Sure, you are in the same room/area. Can you take the phone two miles from the boat and mirror; no. Your not in the same area/room anymore.

The plotter isn't going out to the internet or need it to make this function happen. The WiFi is just a link so the phone and plotter can talk together within the distance of that wifi signal. It doesn't care if your kids can call you on the water or not. They just talk directly together. Think of it like you and your wife in a room together in Texas talking, then you are in a room together in Germany, can you still talk to her there? Sure, you are in the same room/area. Can you take the phone two miles from the boat and mirror; no. Your not in the same area/room anymore.
Needs phone signal to link up with a hotspot to work , cant do it offshore, unless theres another way?

You can do it offshore or anywhere. It's not reception specific, rather your phone or tablet (needs to be a 3G, 4G/LTE, or I guess 5G now phone or tablet, but doesn't need to have a service plan) just needs the ability in settings to create a personal hotspot. The GP1971F will see the hotspot in it's list of available wireless hotspots, connect to your phone or tablet. This is what's called a "Wireless Local Area Network" or "W-LAN" not to be confused with "Wide Area Networks" such as the Internet. Once connected to the phone's wireless LAN, open the Mirror Control App and it should work as long as the connection is made.

See section 11.6 in the Operator's Manual for details.

- Maggy

You are right, on an iPhone, if you disable the network by putting it in airplane mode or disabling cellular - the phone will not allow you to make a hotspot. So do not do that, instead create the hotspot with that enabled and hook it up to the GP. It should operate with or without service.

- maggy

It doesnt show up on LAN page unless it has wifi or hotspot that has data, blue tooth doesnt work, Is there another way?

Watch these video and see if it helps you any. These are done with a WI-FI (no cellular abilities at all) I-pad. Both units need to be on the same WI-FI regardless if that is one created by a capable phone or something else.
VIDEO #1
VIDEO #2

Last edited:
Again there is a difference between General Wi-FI, Wi-Fi with internet access and Cellular/internet. If there is no wifi on the boat; you can solve that by adding a simple wi-fi source like a wifi router. No one is saying that the WI-FI needs to have internet access for this feature. In fact we have said many times it doesn't need access to the internet or cell service. It is Wi-Fi basically so two wireless devices can speak together. In this case we are talking about the mirror app on the phone or tablet to connect up to the GP1971F. Both units connect to wi-fi and talk together. No internet, no cell service and being on the water miles off shore doesn't matter whatsoever. There are many models of Wi-Fi routers for under $25. If there is anything that can host wi-fi (such as the TZT3 example) the two device can connect to it and work. No internet. Wi-Fi router can host without having internet or cell service.

1681160407726.png

Well, theres no wifi when im offshore, only at the dock
Buy a cheap $30 wireless router from Walmart and set it up on the boat. Just make sure that it takes 12v input. You can clip the power brick off the cable and wire it directly to your 12-volt system, ensuring your center pin is positive. This will give you an offshore wifi network that doesn't rely on data.

Back