165T-50/200-SS260 Transducer

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I just received the 165T-50/200-SS260 transducer that will replace the 165T-TM54 and a B117 thru-hull. The first thing I noticed is the diameter of the cable for the DFF3D transducer (not the motion sensor) is quite a bit thicker on the 165T-50/200-SS260 at 0.355" versus 0.305" for the TM54.

Just curious if this is the standard way each transducer is manufactured or if there was some design change where the thicker cable was used. I'm thinking noise and shielding improvements, something that seems to be very important with the DFF3D. The 0.305" cable seems to be more flexible so perhaps the transom mount needs a smaller and more flexible cable. Either way I'd like to know if there is any technical reason for this.

Talked to the product development guys and they said that was what was selected at the time of development from the few choices they were offered. They noted the DFF3D cable was specified at a different time than the other standard transducers which were already developed. Sorry we really don't have a good answer for you. We don't think anything was done intentionally to make the DFF3D cable better; they just selected it from the choices provided at the time.

Thanks for the reply Johnny. Still have not started on the installation but will get it on it soon. Too busy watching my investments drop 25% :(

Today looks like a nice bounce with the 2 trillion in support being given. Now if people will stop running to buy toilet paper :D

I'm bringing this back to provide an update on the installation and provide initial feedback on performance for the first trip out. I did a ton of research before buying the 165T-50/200-SS260 and did not find very much information so it seems appropriate to post some up now.

The mounting location on a Parker 2530 (or 2320 or 2520) is ideal because the bottom of the deep V has a flat area that is perfect for the 260 sized high speed fairing. This puts the transducer face at the deepest point in the water. Also, I have twins on a bracket so there is very minimal to no issues with cavitation in turns and the props are 5 feet behind the transducer.

165T_50_200_SideViewS.jpg

My big error for the day was leaving my USB memory stick at home so I did not take any screen shots. I tried to take pics with the phone but it was too bumpy and did not get a single clear shot. But next time out I'll take several and post them up. It may be a couple weeks.

The first sea trial was in non-ideal conditions with 5-7 kts of wind and a short interval lump from the night before. Location was Santa Monica Bay in SoCal. I ran out about 9 miles in the lump to the South Bank and the DFF3D and 50/200 sounders were in Auto Fishing mode. Both provided clean signals at up to 18-20 kts and a couple times I got some air with a good 2/3 of the hull out of the water and did not see any noise. Normally I'd not run the boat like this but I was testing the transducer performance.

Once out at the South Bank in depths of 165 to 230 feet I started playing around with the sounder settings in Manual mode. I ended up with the following settings:

DFF3D Multi-Sounder - Manual - Gain 50 - Clutter 35 - Auto Range - Short1
B164 - Manual - LF Gain 60 - Clutter 25 - Auto Range
B164 - Manual - HG Gain 60 - Clutter 20 - Auto Range

I had the TZT2 on split screen with the Multi-Sounder on the left and the 50/200 on the right in dual LF/HF mode. Running at all speeds up to about 20 kts the signals were good and clean.

I then ran over to Torrance Beach from the Short Bank which crosses Redondo Canyon to test some deeper water performance. Running at about 18 kts the Multi-Sounder seemed to start dropping the bottom at about 400 feet. I'm sure this is just a need to tweak the settings but I was on the move to get to Torrance Beach and was bouncing around too much to mess with it. The 50/200 (B164 in the combo) tracked the bottom fine to 940 feet LF.

And I did do a little fishing and kept one vermillion rockfish. It was delicious!

Vermillion_SteamedS.jpg

The Fish looks yummy. We have found the DFF3D will normally get something just over 1,000 feet on most installs. Nice looking transducer install.

Good morning,

you will need to add a storage device, you could try a USB thumb drive, plug it into the usb receptacle cable.

Then you can program a function gesture in the general menu, select screen capture. Then when you want to grab a screen capture, just tap the screen with two fingers, it should save the screen capture to the external device.

C-Bass

SC_Hamachi,
It's there.
Enter the model of transducer in the search window. When the transducer appears click on orange view support/tech info button and then look under documents. You will find a drawing with dimensions there.

FYI, it has the same dimensions as a B-260.

Snips

Graylightfishing,
No it doesn't.
The internal 50/200Khz elements are the same as a B-164.

Snips

Snips":3jobs8xz said:
Graylightfishing,
No it doesn't.
The internal 50/200Khz elements are the same as a B-164.

Snips

Is there something I need to do to get a reply to my posts? Just let me know
Thanks

I recommend working with your Furuno distributor under an official tech support case. The forum is not for urgent or complex cases that needs more personal attention.

Back