TZT3 charts update with windfarms?

backman

Furuno Fan
Any plans for a 2024 eastern US chart update incorporating the 2 windfarms around Martha’s Vineyard. They have been in Navionics since July….

Any plans for a 2024 eastern US chart update incorporating the 2 windfarms around Martha’s Vineyard. They have been in Navionics since July….
They are already on the charts for the TZ iboat app and on the TZ Cloud site so I have to think that the next chart updates for the MFDs will show them. They make one hell of a radar target…. It’s so depressing to see the industrialization of the pristine waters I have fished for 40+ years to make some Europeans a bunch of money while doing virtually nothing to mitigate climate change.

I have them on Navionics on my iPad but would prefer an accurate chart at the helm. It was a nightmare in fog last October trying to figure out what were ships and what were pylons. Especially the 10’ high bases which Is the first stage. Horrible..

Attachments

• IMG_3227.jpeg
    IMG_3227.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3226.jpeg
    IMG_3226.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
When NOAA will add them will be a question for NOAA but the C-MAP MM3 chart has them clearly marked.
If running C-map and not seeing them try other range levels or ensure you have upgraded the charts to the newer revisions.
1703628616179.png

That’s what I’m looking for. Will update in the spring, thanks!
just envision a 10 X 12 Nmile grid with 800’ windmills on 300’ pillars, then add fog and boat traffic……

That’s what I’m looking for. Will update in the spring, thanks!
just envision a 10 X 12 Nmile grid with 800’ windmills on 300’ pillars, then add fog and boat traffic……
Wait until you see what your radar looks like with the turbine blades installed and rotating. They scatter the returns everywhere. A friend who is a merchant ship captain and seen them in the North Sea says it creates a massively confusing picture.

My experience is if running a Furuno radar you don't see much scatter but I do hear other brands have a harder time with the auto filtering and it can be problematic for some.

little to no forward scatter on the pylons, we shall see what happens next summer when there are blades spinning all around.

i was getting about a 20 degree arc on pylons behind me at 1-2 mile range. Have a look at my 4 o’clock and the echos there. Thats on the 300’ air height pylon, no blades. Everything forward is clean and crisp, the structures aft of me are weird!

Attachments

• IMG_3226.jpeg
    IMG_3226.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back