TZT3 9 Inch

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
At the Long Beach Fred Hall show I heard that down the road the TZT3 will have a 9" model which is supposed to be a replacement for the TZT9. I'm asking because I upgraded from an MFD8 to a TZT9 when my MFD8 was end-of-life. I had hoped the replacement would be a drop in but it took a bit more effort since the cutout was different and the TZT is deeper than the MFD8. And as you can see there is no more room available on the dash.

I had to make a teak extender that moved the TZT9 out and also adapted it to the MFD8 cutout. I'm wondering if the TZT3 9" is going to be a true "drop in" replacement for the TZT9 or if I'll be making more time intensive modifications to fit it in.

Here is a picture of the dash and the TZT9 for reference (not a lot of room to spare around it). Please right click the image and open in a new tab to see it.

Parker2530Dash_03162018.jpg

The TZT3 9inch isn't even in production yet. I can ask Product Development if they have dimension information on the 9.

Thank you kicker. I understand it can be 1-2 years for a unit to be produced, which does not concern me at all. I'm hoping to get 3-5 more years out of my TZT9. I'm just anticipating the future since I'm familiar with some of the mixed system woes.

The decision to move from the TZT to a TZT3 will most likely be based on how the software progresses since I'll be stuck in the V6.x world until a 9" TZT3 becomes available. For example, I really wanted the 1/4 screen Yamaha interface but had to wait for V6.x on the TZT, even though the TZT2 had been on V6.x for six months.

V6.x software development for the TZT is probably close to an end as the programming resources are now focused on the TZT3, which is understandable. I would have never gone the mixed system route in the first place if there was a TZT2 replacement for the MFD8, my only option was a TZT9. I had to fill in the dash and start from scratch to fit the MFD8 and the four Yamaha gauges. There is no more room to grow beyond the TZT9.

I'm extremely happy just knowing that I may have a future upgrade path that will be a drop-in replacement.

Hey Marmax,

I was able to get a quick response back. So the development is not that far along yet with the TZT3 9inch but was able to get some possible dimension sizes for you.

The cutout dimensions for the 9 are approximately 150mm X 285mm and overall dimensions are about 175mm X 300mm. Should give you a rough idea to work with.

I can give you the exact dimensions for the CH500 you were eyeballing at Fred Hall? :D

Thanks kicker, nice chatting with you at the show. And Johnny, yes, I completely understand that things change. But the TZT3 9" is probably on the drawing board to replace the TZT9, so that kind of speaks for itself.

Back