Path to PBG?

backman

Furuno Fan
Trying to figure out how to add PBG to my TZ3 systems. I currently have a pair of TZ16’s, one to a DFF1 with a B275HWL transducer, the other hooked to a DIFFAMP with a R509 transducer attached to it.

I also have a TZ12 and a TZ9 in the system with no sonar/transducers attached to either.

is my path to PBG to either 1) add a DFF3D transducer paired to yet another transducer install and connect to my TZ12 or2) remove the DFF1/B275 on one of my TZ16s and add DFF3D/B54 there?

are there any other transducers that support PBG since I asked the question 2 years back?

The only method to get PBG on TZT3 MFD is to use the DFF3D network multi-beam sonar with 165T type transducer. There are no other PBG methods on the TZT3.

This is a geometry question. I have a downeast boat with a 3’ keel. I can’t transom mount or pocket mount, would need to go with a throughhull mount. My existing transducers are 3 feet outboard of the keel. At a hand wave, the transducer beam has to be kept at less than a 45° angle, not to bounce off the keel which is “wet”, meaning it’s open to seawater, ie a fiberglass enclosed water tank. It also has a steel shoe on it.

How much control over beam angle do you get with that transducer and whale are th effects of reducing it from its very wide angle to say a 25 degree angle.

I am most interested in PBG for deep structure for swordfishing - say 1-2000’.

You have no control over the beam on the transmission side. You must not hit the keel with the beam. The beams are adjusted on the receive side so the entire beam will be active at all times regardless of what you are doing on the receive side for looking at the signal. If you hit the keel the signal will come screaming back at you and it wont be good. The DFF3 typically gets about 1000 ft of depth. While many have seen beyond that it won't reach 2000 by a long shot.

Thanks, you just saved me 5-6K this winter! Is there any way in the entire array of Furuno Fishfinder/sonar/transducer array of,products to generate bathymetry in 2000’?

As it now stands, PBG is supported in the MFDs only with the DFF3D. If you want PBG deeper, it is very possible but you would need to shift over and use the Nobeltec TZ software on a PC. The PBG would not be viewable on the MFD but the PC would show you and they also support other sounders and single beam fish finders that can go much deeper than 2000 ft and get PBG data. I would recommend discussing that with Nobeltec (ph 503-579-1414) as they would have what you are looking for and it integrates with the NAVnet network well. The other option on larger commercial fishing side is WASSP. WASSP is a multi-beam like the DFF3D to a much higher degree of detail and $$. If that is what you might like, I would suggest talking with your dealer or the commercial department at Furuno.

Thanks Johnny, just what I was looking for. Will call them this weeek. I’d far prefer to use what I have then try and swap ‘ducers or cut more holes!

Back