TZT3 and autopilot (Furuno 300 and Yamaha Helm Master EX)

BlueDragon

Hi all,

I need some advice on the configuration and options for my new boat to be delivered next April (hopefully).

The boat would be a 33 feet centre-console boat with twin Yamaha 300hp outboard motors.

I have the basic equipment list as follows:
- TZT3 16"
- FCV-1150
- SCX-20
- DFF-3D
- transducer: B54, 82B-35R, 175HW

My questions are:

1. I am considering either the Furuno 300 autopilot or Yamaha Helm Master EX autopilot.
- What are the pros and cons of both options? (Helm Master EX is much more expensive.)
- How easy is to use Helm Master EX on TZT3? Is it easy to plot the route on TZT3 and send it to Helm Master EX for autopilot? Is it easy to control Helm Master EX on TZT3?

2. Any advice for transducers or different / additional transducers in the system.

3. Is it necessary for a radar? (I mostly fish only in the day time.) If so, which model would you suggest?

Thank you for your time and advice.

Hey BlueDragon,

In regards to interactions between the Helm Master EX and the Furuno MFD, check out this article
TZTouch3 Yamaha Helm Master EX Interface Guide

Long story short, with the TZT16F and the correct adapters you'll be able to display alarms/notifications on MFD. Output route information from MFD for engine to slow down and stop at the destination. Display engine gauge data on MFD.

For transducers it really depends on a lot of factors. How deep? What type of fish? Bottom fishing or water column?

I always recommend radar, it's fantastic for safety and awareness. With the correct radar you can even use it to help fish by finding the worlds best fishermen...birds! If you're not going far off the coast and are mainly using for safety I'd go with the dome DRS4DNXT If you want to use the radar to find birds I'd bump up the power and switch to an open array like the DRS12ANXT

Hey BlueDragon,

In regards to interactions between the Helm Master EX and the Furuno MFD, check out this article
TZTouch3 Yamaha Helm Master EX Interface Guide

Long story short, with the TZT16F and the correct adapters you'll be able to display alarms/notifications on MFD. Output route information from MFD for engine to slow down and stop at the destination. Display engine gauge data on MFD.

For transducers it really depends on a lot of factors. How deep? What type of fish? Bottom fishing or water column?

I always recommend radar, it's fantastic for safety and awareness. With the correct radar you can even use it to help fish by finding the worlds best fishermen...birds! If you're not going far off the coast and are mainly using for safety I'd go with the dome DRS4DNXT If you want to use the radar to find birds I'd bump up the power and switch to an open array like the DRS12ANXT
Thank you for your reply.

Back to transducers, I usually fish from 200 ft to over 1200 ft and trolling for tuna, jigging and bottom fishing.

Thanks,

Back