Complete setup for Axopar 37

Luksusbums

Hi all,

I am quite unsure in which category to post this but I am looking for a complete setup for my boat in the mediterranean. The boat is an Axopar 37 with a stepped hull. I will be fishing down to max 300 meters and scout for spearfishing spots down to 40 meters.

Important to note that I am completely new to all of this so please bare with me if something looks like complete nonsense 😅

So far I have thought of the following:

2 TZT3's in the pilot house and an extra in the aft that I can monitor while fishing on the spot
DFF-3D with PBG
DFF1-HD
SCX-20

I am not sure about transducers as I can't figure out if there's one that works with both or if I need two eg. B265LH for the DFF-HD & B54 for the DFF-3D?

Also does anyone have experience with making the Mercury JPO autopilot work with the screens?

I am grateful for any advice and recommendations to the setup.

Thank you in advance :)

I think you need to consult your boat builder or dealer about the interface to the Mercury JPO system. It has proprietary elements that are not NMEA 2000 compliant. Mercury has an arrangement with Navico (manufacturer of Simrad hardware) to supply its Vessel View displays and the Mercury systems are set up to integrate with Simrad MFDs. While one would think that the Mercury JPO should be able to accept navigation and compass data over NMEA 2000 for autopilot control, I am not sure the TZT 3 will integrate with it. Similarly, I am not sure that the interface from the Mercury system will provide a data output that can be displayed on the TZT 3. That's unfortunately what happens when an engine manufacturer wants to enforce a monopoly on instrumentation.

Looking at your equipment list, I don't see why you would want a DFF1-UHD. It is essentially the same sounder as what is built in to the TZT3 MFDs (other than the 9"). You do need a separate transducer element for the DFF-3D from the conventional sounder. This could be accomplished by having one of the B54 transducers (in hull or transom) and a B265LH or LHW or using a combination transducer such as the 165T--265LH-PM488 that is installed in a pocket. If it makes for an easier installation, you could also use the B175H (or HW if you want the wider beam) and B175L tilted element transducers as a pair along with a B54. That's what I have on my boat -- a B54 mounted in a pocket on the keel and the B175H and B175L. That way everything is flush to the hull and adds no drag. With a stepped hull, you need a knowledgeable installer to choose the best location for the transducer to avoid turbulence.

You did not list a radar but it would seem to me that you should want to have one on a boat that size.

Not Axopar, but I had a lot of trouble with a very similar stepped boat.
1. Quitsa explained about getting engine data, but I have little knowledge on this subject.
2. I use Autopilot nav300, if the steering system is hydraulic, you can install it without any problem, I installed it myself.
3. Transducer selection, if you are hunting on flat ground, I recommend you to buy a wide-angle transducer, if you are hunting on rocky ground, I recommend you to buy a high frequency narrow-angle transducer. B265LH (high frequency narrow angle) B275LHW both wide angle.
4. The most problematic point. In stepped boats similar to Axopar. The location of the transducer is very important. When I talked to many people who will do the installation, they said that I would not be able to see anything over 3-5 knots and that I had to accept this. But I am not convinced, so don't be convinced either. At the moment, I do not have a problem over 20 knots on a similar boat. The transducer must be in front of the first step, pay close attention to this. If they try to convince you of 3-5 knots or a dirty appearance, do not be convinced.
5. I set up this whole installation myself because the installers did not inspire confidence. You can do some research and set it up.

Back