MFD12's upgrade to TZT2 vs TZT3 vs TZTBB

Mariner62

In a few months I want upgrade my chartplotters from MFD12's to some new technology. One of the options I am considering is a pair of TZT2 displays.

I understand the issues I will create around NMEA0183 to N2K conversion etc and I have that solution in hand.

I have seen some feedback that the TZT2 can be sluggish to operate and that Furuno recommend either the TZT3 or the TZT2BB solution, however both of these solutions are much more expensive than the TZT2. I do not, and don't intend to operate a fishfinder sonar so I'm not concerned about any issues directly related to that function. I use the MFD's exclusively for navigation (including radar), and would also propose to use the TZT2's for information displays as well (engine, battery data etc).

Should I be concerned about operating issues with the TZT2 when simply using it for navigation without sonar?

Do I really need to pay the +50% premium to get the extra memory and processing power of the TZT3/TZT2BB?

The TZT2 12" (TZTL12F) and the 15" (TZTL15F) are no longer available from us at the National Distributor level. If a dealer has some in stock then you can get the TZT2. As with most systems keeping the TZT2 software up to date and periodically clearing the cache memory will help speed them up.

Thanks Titanic II, much appreciated.
Hope I can get my hands on some stock!
Seems to me that every upgrade I get from Microsoft makes my PC go slower 🤣

Back