Upgrading from MFD12 to TZT2

D

drroycejohnson

I am working on setting up an upgrade form my MFD12 to a TZT2. I have the FA50 AIS and a DRS4D radar, along with the usual sailboat sensors, a HUB101 for NN3D and TimeZeroNavigator on a PC, and a NavPilot511. The question of the moment is what do I need to interface the DRS4D to the TZT2? My MFD12 has a port on the back just for the radar, so obviously I need a PSU as an interface, but which one? 012,013,014,017? I know I will need a N183 to N2K bridge too to drive the NavPilot with has both In and Out data requirements on N183.

drroycejohnson,

All original DRS series Radars required a 48 VDC power supply, and this was provided by a MFD8 or MFD12. What you need to purchase is a PSU017 to supply the voltage to your DRS4D. These power supply units accept 12 or 24 VDC and convert it to 48 VDC for the Radar.

Please note that all original-series DRS scanners also must be updated to software version 1.16 or later to be compatible with any TZtouch system.

I hope you find this information is helpful..? :)
- Deep Blue

Thanks Deep Blue, that is helpful. To clarify, the cable connector from the DRS4D goes to the PSU017 and the PSU017 also is wired with house power and a NavNet cable that takes the data to the hub? How do I update the firmware on the DRS4D?

drroycejohnson,

You are correct on the connections between the PSU, radar and, hub.

For updating the radar, I find it bullet proof to update the radar via a laptop. If you have the radar still connected to the MFD12, some of our techs would recommend you can do it through the MFD12.
You can find the instructions and software with the link below.
https://www.furunousa.com/en/support/DRS4D

Back