Icom M424G to Tzt2

rockfshr

Furuno Super Fan
I just installed a Icom M424g. I have a Tzt2 and 1971 on my Nema2k backbone. I also have Actisense 0183 to n2k converter. What information would I be able to get on my Furuno mfd’s from the icom? Is it worth connecting icom to system?

The only thing the VHF could put out for any MFD would be DSC call data. Unless it has an internal AIS receiver, then that is very useful.
On the other hand, it is always a good idea to ensure that your VHF is getting position data to maximize your DSC effectiveness.
There was an event recently that resulted in drowning. The operator pushed the DSC button but GPS was not connected. Help did not arrive in time because they were looking in the wrong area.

So if someone has an emergency and presses the DSC emergency button their position won’t show up on the MFD’s?

Some icom radios do not provide both DSC and DSE sentences required to plot a target. If it gives the information then it will be plotted just like the Furuno FM4800 would do. The most import thing is you have GPS going to the radio so when you push the DSC the USCG and others can find your boat during an emergency. I can't speak to the Icom product, if that model provides both DSC and DSE required to plot the target on screen.

Back