IF-NMEA2K2 connection to TZ2 Issue

luckyheights

I am trying to get AIS/DSC NMEA 0183 data from a Standard Horizon GX2200 to a TZTL12F using a IF-NMEA2K2 converter

I have connected the 2k2 to the canbus and supplied with 12v via the canbus power supply on the pigtail of the tz2 And see the power light flashing on the 2k2.

I have connected the Standard Horizon GX2200 38400 baud NMEA 0183 output Gray (+) to the 2k2 blue/yellow input RDH and the GX220. output Brown (-) to the 2k2 blue/green input RDC.

For some reason, nothing shows on the Furuno display, and when I go into initial set up “Select IF” is greyed out under “IF -NMEA Setup” section. I tried updating the software, however, it does not show up, even when I select “Scan” under update network equipment. So it looks like the tzt2 is not recognizing the nmea2k2 at all!

I have verified the correct baud output setting of 38400 On the GX2200. I have the purple wire cut on the 2k2 to ensure AIS 38400 baud rate coming in. I have also powered down and restarted the Tzt2 multiple times.

any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpeg
    IMG_0379.jpeg
    714.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0377.jpeg
    IMG_0377.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    720.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
To help better understand the situation, can you show me a diagram or drawing of what you mean by, "I have connected the 2k2 to the canbus and supplied with 12v via the canbus power supply on the pigtail of the tz2." You may need to enable AIS output on the VHF radio through the system menus if it's not on by default. On the TZ side, navigate to HOME > Settings > Initial Setup > Sources List. Check to see that the IF-NMEA is listed as a CanBus device, if it's there it might be useful to rename it "AIS", on the plotter screen swipe up and verify AIS Overlay is on. Then let us know.

- Maggy

I should’ve said I’ve connected the IF-NMEA2K2 to the NMEA port on the TZ2 via a canbus T connector.

I supplied 12vdc to the canbus power supply wire on the TZ2 multicable.

AIS overlay is on in the plotter mode and the AIS output is turned on, on the radio side.

I feel like the issue is that the TZ2 is not connecting to the IF-NMEA2K2. It does not show up on the sensor list under initial setup, nor under update network equipment list.

Attachments

• IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    768.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0382.jpeg
    IMG_0382.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 13
I’m at wits end, I’ve tried every combination of connections into the 2k2 to no avail. I even swapped out standard horizon radios, made sure they were receiving AIS, and tested the NMEA 0183 outputs, and it shows that they are working.

No matter what I do, the 2K2 does not show up on the center list, and when I go in to update network connections scan mode.

I’m thinking of returning the 2k2 converter, and purchasing a standalone nmea 2000 AIS unit such as the FA 40 as much as I do not want to spend the money. The thing that bothers me is the radio interfaced with the Navnet 3-D via nmea0183 no problem.

Last edited:
The 2k2 should show up as a NMEA2000 device; I don't remember what they call them, but the tz2/3 can list devices on the NMEA2000 network. If that device is not showing up on the device list, then you have a NMEA2000 network problem, not a radio or furuno problem.

To troubleshoot more easily you'd need a NMEA0183 to USB or serial adaptor to use a PC to watch the data stream from the radio to make sure it's sending what you want, and a NGT-1-USB on a PC to listen to what's on the NMEA2000 network and what devices are transmitting what data.

A GX2400 radio is probably about the same price as the 2k2 adaptor and it has NMEA2000 output.

I’m at wits end, I’ve tried every combination of connections into the 2k2 to no avail. I even swapped out standard horizon radios, made sure they were receiving AIS, and tested the NMEA 0183 outputs, and it shows that they are working.

No matter what I do, the 2K2 does not show up on the center list, and when I go in to update network connections scan mode.

I’m thinking of returning the 2k2 converter, and purchasing a standalone nmea 2000 AIS unit such as the FA 40 as much as I do not want to spend the money. The thing that bothers me is the radio interfaced with the Navnet 3-D via nmea0183 no problem.
Do you have an NMEA 2000 network installed or just a single tee connecting the two cables from the IF-NMEA2K2 and the TZT2?
Here is a guide on NMEA 2000. https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites..._installation/nmea2000_installation_guide.pdf

Thank you Fishtech & JP. I wanted to wait until I got the parts and tried.

Embarrassed to say that I did not have the Terminator connections on the end of the NEMA tees and had no idea that they were more than just a protective cap.

Thanks everybody for their input, again, embarrassed to admit, I did not know the simplest foundation of the nema backbone, but hopefully somebody that stumbles upon the same mistake that I did will be able to solve this for themselves by reading this thread!

Thanks again!

Thank you Fishtech & JP. I wanted to wait until I got the parts and tried.

Embarrassed to say that I did not have the Terminator connections on the end of the NEMA tees and had no idea that they were more than just a protective cap.

Thanks everybody for their input, again, embarrassed to admit, I did not know the simplest foundation of the nema backbone, but hopefully somebody that stumbles upon the same mistake that I did will be able to solve this for themselves by reading this thread!

Thanks again!
Do not be embarrassed! This is the number one area (NMEA 2000) that is neglected due to lack of understanding or education by so many people. Honest sharing of information is a wonderful thing.

Back