MFD 12 rebooted

Colin Lambert

I am writing to ask your advice about my NAVNET 3D, which I purchased new 10 years ago. Over winter, I store the MFD 12 display at home. When I reconnect it at the beginning of the season, it often fails to pick up the radar, GPS and fish finder, and displays the wind only. However after leaving it on for a while, then switching off and restarting a couple of times, it eventually finds everything. I thought this was because there is an internal battery that needs to self-charge after being stored over winter, but according to a FURUNO forum, the MFD 12 has no internal battery.

This year the same happened, but eventually everything was fine. However, unknown to me, one of the domestic batteries was faulty and had a low voltage, so when I tested the bow thruster, the MFD switched off and rebooted. After that, it now fails to pick up the radar, GPS and fish finder, (and displays the wind only) no matter how many times it is switched on and off.

I checked all inline fuses and the fuse in the hub, all of which are fine. The hub indicator light is green, so that seems to be fine.

Dies anyone have any suggestions?

I would recommend running the installation wizard after the unit is put back on the boat each season. This is how that system knows to look for items upon each power up. While it might remember what it last saw for certain amount of off time, apparently the storage period is too long so you must allow the system to rebuild the available items list that gets built during the installation setup wizard.

I would recommend running the installation wizard after the unit is put back on the boat each season. This is how that system knows to look for items upon each power up. While it might remember what it last saw for certain amount of off time, apparently the storage period is too long so you must allow the system to rebuild the available items list that gets built during the installation setup wizard.
Thanks very much for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Back