GP30 to GP39 data transfer

Aquarius

I am replacing an old GP30 gps with a new GP39. Is there anyway that I can transfer all my saved waypoints and routes to the new unit without having to enter them one at a time?

I can successfully download all waypoints and routes to my Offshore Navigator software using a home made cable. I have been doing this for years as a way of backing up the data and transferring routes from my computer to my GPS.

The GP30 puts out waypoints via RS232 and the GP39 either does it with RS422 or using a USB stick. If this is a one time deal, you could wire them up without a properly level converter and transfer them over. If you need to do this all the time, you would need to purchase a proper level converter and wire them correctly. So here is how to wire it for a one time data dump. (incorrectly for one time use)

GP30 GP39

BLUE ----- Yellow
Bare Shield --- Green

Then do a data transfer as described in the users manual (where it talks about sending it to a PC)

Thank you for the response. It sounds simple enough. I know that each unit has 4 colored wires coming from the connector. This will be a one time transfer before I retire the GP 30. I will match them up as you specify.

In parentheses you have written "(incorrectly for one time use)". I am not sure what you mean by that.

Incorrectly meaning you are connecting RS232 to RS422 without a proper matching device. It isn't recommended and if left connected like that for long time use; it would get ugly.

Johnny,

I just tried this and it did not work.

On the GP-30 there is not much on the screen.

It says:
DATA1: NEMA-REM
DATA2: NEMA-REM
NMEA VER: VER2.0

Then I select "SAVE WP/RTE > PC"

I get a confirmation screen that also says:

SET PC PORT TO 4800 8BIT, P-N, S1, XON/OFF.

There is more on the GP-39 screen. You can select:

Data 1: "REM1, REM2, AP, or GPS".

NMEA0183 Version: "1.5, 2.0, 3.0".

I then select "Load WPT/RTE < GP-32".

I get a confirmation screen "Loading Start?"

I confirm "Yes" and then a small screen below appears: "WPTE/RTE Loading........
Cancel?"

Cancel is darkened. I begin loading from the GP-30. That unit says complete, but there is no change on the GP-39 display. I have waited several minutes, tried NWMA0183 Version 2.0. Nothing seems to work.

You always start the receiving unit first and then immediately start the send on the transmitting unit. It typically works but if you can't get it to work; you might use the data you have dumped to the PC and use a conversion program like SeaMarks to put the data into GP39 GPX format. The GP39 has a USB port at the back you can import them that way. I have had good luck with the one time transfers. The GP30 will output the data at 4800 baud.

Thank you gentlemen. It looks like I will be buying that software. I have another question about my new GP 39 and new 1815 RADAR. Iwill post that in another thread.

Back