DRS6A-nxt noise when off

aquahauler

2 weeks ago I installed a tztouch2 and DRS6Anxt radar. Everything seemed fine until last night. When entering the boat I heard a mid to high pitch wine which I found was coming from the radar. The unit was off as well the tztouch screen. I had not noticed it before however this was the first time I did not have the air conditioner unit running so it could have been making the sound from the beginning.

I do not have the radar running through a switch as I have one on order but I have never cut power to a radar in the past when not in use so the idea seems strange.

I would appreciate any info on this subject.

Thank you,
Frank

I spoke with furuno customer service today. The gentleman was very helpful and pleasant to deal with. He explained that the noise is normal in solid-state style radars. He said I could put a switch in and have it in the off position when not in use to eliminate the noise and the small electrical draw. As far as the park position, there is no actual system that stops the antenna when it is in the proper position. He said the system kills the power at the right point we're able slowed down and stopped in the so-called parked position. Any wind will influence weary comes to rest. As well, if it is parked proper any wind can blow it off of that position.

I will be installing a switch to avoid the noise.

Thanks for the follow up. Yes there are small fans and items that run when the radar has power applied. Adding a switch is a good solution for you.

Back