DRS4D-NXT Belt Comming Off

timtyler

I have a DRS4D-NXT unit I bought a few years ago. It threw an error at the end of last season (I don't remember what it was) and wouldn't transmit. I called tech support to see if they could help and they said the error could be caused by a belt coming off. I asked what the fix was if it had slipped off, and their answer was to put it back on (duh!). I asked if a new belt would help and was told probably not. So I checked and sure enough, it had come off. I replaced it by just slipping it back on. It didn't seem to be loose, and there appeared to be nothing that would keep it from coming off again. I fired up the unit and it started to work again.

This season I tested the unit before my first trip out. It worked so I shut it down. Took off on the trip, hit some fog, turned on the unit, and got the same error as last year. I'll open the unit tomorrow, but I'm sure the belt is off again.

Anyone else have the same problem, and if so what was the solution? I did an internet search and can't find parts or a parts manual for the unit. I can use some help here too.

Thanks.

I had this happen many years ago so the unit was older than your DRS4D-NXT. I am pretty sure there is no belt tension adjustment. It could be a hard to see problem with the belt itself. In my case, the fixing bolts were loose for the motor and pulleys. That allowed it to wobble enough to throw the belt. It was a simple fix.

You might start by verifying that all of the bolts for the drive motor, pulleys etc, are properly tightened and that there is no wobbling that could misalign the belt.

Thanks for your reply. I pulled the dome cover and sure enough, the belt had slipped off. The belt fits on two cogged gears. A large one that has no way to retain the belt other than friction and a smaller one that has a lip on the top to keep the belt on. I replaced the belt and while doing so saw there is a tiny set screw on the smaller gear. I tugged lightly on the smaller gear and it moved up. I pressed it back down, tightened the set screw, and gave it another tug. There was no movement. The unit is currently working as it should. I'm hoping this was the problem.

Any idea where to get replacement belts if needed?

The setscrew you found is the key to stopping the belt from coming off. Ensure that the gears are level with each other then set the set screw.
As for the belt, I dont think we have a part number for it. There is so little stress on it and it is so overbuilt, it should not fail. I'll check on that...

Back