Data Sensor Lock

T

Titanium91352

I have two TZT14 and one TZT9 installed in my boat. My issue is I keep losing depth information. If I set my data source to my DST800, it works fine. But then I lose readouts for depth and or SST and when I check the data source it is now looking at DFF-1UHD or my DFF-3D as the source. hen it looks at the DFF1 or the DFF3D, the depth indicator is intermittent most of the time, even in shallow water. Is there a way to force the TZT to look at a single source and not change it? If not, why does the TZT abandon a source if it has been set as the preferred?

Thanks

The TZT and TZT2 will use the selected preferred source (DST800) until that source stops providing the needed data. It will then switch to any source that he can find this data (DFF1-UHD or DFF3D). Unlike the NN3D which requires turn off to go back to the primary selected source, the TZT/TZT2 will automatically return to the preferred source when it start providing the needed data again consistently. The DST800 depth abilities will depend on many factors but roughly they are good from 1ft to about 130 ft. Some more and some less. The DFF1-UHD (If running the current software) would most likely be the best overall source to use for depth so it doesn't need to keep switching sources. You might run your sensor list and see what software you have in your DFF1-UHD. The newest is version 2.01 and it is easy to upgrade if you need. As far as the DST800, they have different firmware versions and ages out there. They can also get marine growth on them, which causes more problems for depth than a typical transducer. You might also look in the sensor list to see what firmware is in the DST800. I can easily see the system switching over to your sounders when the water depth gets to deep to pick up well (as it should). The DFF1-UHD sounder picking up good bottom should give you good digital depth from 2ft to very deep.

Thanks Johnny.

I would most certainly like to utilize my Transducers to give me the depth information but there have been ongoing problems with accomplishing that goal. It started with a DFF-3 with a R309 transducer vintage 2013. I would consistently lose my depth readings on my TZT14's. Had the DFF-3 serviced. No difference. Everyone pointed at the depth sensor on the R309. Decided to fix the problem by upgrading to a DFF-3D with a 165T? and add a DFF-1UHD with a R599 instead of my R309. No difference. Did find out that with my DFF-3D, if I set my range much deeper than my depth, depth info will not show. As an example, cross the channel with the range set to 600 ft and when I get to the island, a depth of 40 ft doesn't show up. Just some anomaly that if the range on the DFF-3D is too large for the current depth, there is no output on the depth indicator on the TZT14 if the preference is set to DFF-3D. I haven't done the same with my DFF-1UHD, so I will check. My initial solution was to just set my navigation depth on the TZT14 to the DST800. That way I can monitor navigation depth all the time. But as I said, the TZT preference will then jump to the DFF-3D and unless I have the DFF-3D in the proper range for the depth I am currently in, I have no indicator of depth. Bart took pictures of the DFF-3D issue. I thought I had a work around, but since I cannot lock in the preference of which sensor to use, I am still fighting the problem.

If it was mine, I would be running the DFF1-UHD with current software set to AUTO so it keeps bottom/depth on the screen, and then use it as my depth source. I wouldn't recommend the DFF3D as a navigation depth source. The DST800 would be okay but only for waters roughly 100ft and below. To save switching back and forth or having the system do it as it seeks the needed data; I would try the DFF1-UHD. It does a great job with navigational depth from shallow to deep.

Johnny,

Thanks. I will try and set the preference to the UHD and see if it sticks. Will update you from the next trip.

Vince

Johnny,

I had a chance to try and set the Depth Data Source to the DFF1-UHD. If I leave the unit in auto, then the depth remains fairly constant although it did switch to the DS800 a couple of times. The issue I have is if I leave it in auto range, then my depth finder is constantly changing the range as the depth changes significantly at the ledges. Again, I am only monitoring the upper 200-300 feet so having the range set to auto makes the depth I want to monitor a very small horizontal area compared to the rest of the screen that is showing me information I am not interested in. I noticed the bottom composition stays constant no matter where I set the range of the sounder to so it continues to read the bottom, just doesn't output a depth.

To recap:
Leaving the sounder in auto range mode does provide a more constant depth output to the network
Utilizing this method has the sounder changing ranges all the time as I criss cross the ledges. Also leaves me with a very small horizontal section of use full information.
If I set the sounder to a fixed depth, the depth on the screen turns to dashes and the data source goes hunting for alternate depth sources.

I am confused why the Furuno doesn't just extract the depth from the transducer and continue to feed that to the network regardless of the range setting of the fish finder. Both my DFF-3D and the DFF1-UHD do the same thing.

Thanks

The sounder must see bottom to give you a calculation to it. This is why you must either use auto range or change the range yourself, when you are trying to use a sounder for digital depth.

Back