Cm599LH picture problems

JasonM

What would be causing this on my low frequency?
It seems like the transducer is skipping on and off cause there will be blank spaces and all of a sudden a lot of noise when the high frequency does not show the same picture.

Attachments

• 9FCC6883-F444-473E-ADB4-A3470BD2C9FE.jpeg
    9FCC6883-F444-473E-ADB4-A3470BD2C9FE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 06673B4E-A58C-411C-B995-588B9F223511.jpeg
    06673B4E-A58C-411C-B995-588B9F223511.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • 5FA4A195-1361-4A93-AF5B-FF1DD61A60D7.jpeg
    5FA4A195-1361-4A93-AF5B-FF1DD61A60D7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
It looks less like noise and more like cavitation IMHO.

- Maggy

JasonM,

What you are seeing is a classic case of turbulence that is happening to the fishfinder's transducer. When it comes to turbulence, it will affect the Low Frequency side before affecting the High Frequency side.

How is the transducer mounted on your vessel and what is the vessel's speed when this begins to happen..?

- Deep Blue

JasonM,

What you are seeing is a classic case of turbulence that is happening to the fishfinder's transducer. When it comes to turbulence, it will affect the Low Frequency side before affecting the High Frequency side.

How is the transducer mounted on your vessel and what is the vessel's speed when this begins to happen..?

- Deep Blue
Hi Deep Blue,

The transducer is pocket mounted at the keel of the boat. That was the boat just sitting still under no power and drifting. We drop 5lb leads here with chum below the boat 50-100 fathoms deep and sometimes we won’t see them on our finder. I had a 1kw transducer before that was able to pick them up but this 3kw is not as consistent and not able to mark fish clearly.

Attachments

• A99ECD11-744F-4177-A083-F78BEA0D52F5.jpeg
    A99ECD11-744F-4177-A083-F78BEA0D52F5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
JasonM,

That picture on Low Frequency is simply horrible. So I'd go back and do a factory default on sounder settings and see if that changes anything.

Also you might want to power off all the electronics on the vessel (except for the sounder), and see what happens. You are clearly getting some type of interference from something, either its electrical or acoustic or both.

Its there an Earth Ground that is attached to the MFD..?

- Deep Blue

JasonM,

That picture on Low Frequency is simply horrible. So I'd go back and do a factory default on sounder settings and see if that changes anything.

Also you might want to power off all the electronics on the vessel (except for the sounder), and see what happens. You are clearly getting some type of interference from something, either its electrical or acoustic or both.

- Deep Blue
Hi Deep Blue, thank you for the fast response. I’m assuming there is an earth ground attached to the MFD done by the boat builder. I’ll open up the console and check. I thought it could be interference as I also have a multi beam sonar but when I had those issues I turned it off and the problem persisted. The pictures you see are with only the cm599 transducer on. Everything else is turned off. I’ll try a factory reset the next time I have it submerged and see if that fixes the issues but I believe I did it before.

JasonM,

- Deep Blue
Aloha deep blue, my boat builder was asking where do they recommend the earth ground be attached to? He said he don’t remember having an earth ground. Where would I need to run the grounding wire? Could I just run it to the negative bus bar? This is the response of my boat builder “You should clarify with them. Usually I attach it to the bonding system, but you don’t have one.”

Last edited:
JasonM,

Boat bonding systems are a network of electrically connected metallic parts and components. They provide a path for ground-fault currents, prevent touch-voltages on metal surfaces and provide a path for stray currents.

Usually you would connect the MFD's Earth Ground to the vessel's bonding system. Since you don't have that as an option, you'll have to find the next best thing like connecting the earth ground to something like an engine block, or rudder posts.

Do not connect the MFD's Earth Ground the the vessel's electrical system Negative Bus Bar. This has the potential to cause a "ground loop" and will make the interference worse.

- Deep Blue.

Back