711C Configuration with FI-5002 Junction Box

Bullish

Hello, I'm finishing up a complete upgrade to my electronics. Let me summarize.

I previously had a NMEA 0183 configuration
I've replaced two 1650's with two 1971's.
I've replaced my Icom radio with the FM4800 Radio Telephone with AIS receiver
New Shakespeare Galaxy 8 Foot Antennae
Installed the junction box FI-5002
I am keeping my Pilot 711-C, which was added just a few years ago
Removed my Sitex radar today - will install the DRS4W next weekend
I've run NMEA 2000 cables from both 1971's and the FM4800 to the FI-5002 junction box. That networking seems to be successful for these components because I now have AIS on my chart plotters at the dock.

Today, I took the old NMEA cable, that was plugged from the heading sensor (PG-700) to the processor unit, and disconnected from processor unit and plugged it into the FI-5002. I also ran another NMEA 2000 cable from processing unit (CAN bus port) to the FI-5002.

I created a waypoint at the dock and attempted to have my pilot go to that waypoint but it did not recognize it. Do I have to go through a setup menu on my Pilot screen to recognize the new NMEA 2000 network? Do I need to go through the entire setup again with my pilot since I removed my old NMEA network and configured with the junction box?

Please let me know any other pitfalls or additions you feel I might need to consider to harness the full capability of these components.

Thank you,
Jason

There is nothing you should do to the pilot, except ensure that any previous terminations have been removed which might have been used with the old bus and to select your Navigation source as the GP1971F. For example if the FI-5002 has the two terminations On, you shouldn't have the termination button on the PG700 turned on or the small termination jumper at the pilot. If your NMEA 2000 bus is correct, you should be able to see the devices in the GP1971F. For example in Menu - Settings - Interface - Select input device - Heading; you should see the PG700 and be able to select it as your input source. You should also ensure that you have configured the proper PGN output sentences from the GP1971F to send steering data to the pilot. (Menu- Settings - Interface - Select NMEA 2000 output)

Thank you, it will be until this weekend before I have an opportunity to review your recommendations at the boat. Can you further explain what I need to do to configure the proper PGN sentences, once I reach the Select NMEA 2000 output screen on the 1971 units? Can both 1971 units be configured to the pilot or do I need to designate only one of them?

Please direct me to another post if this question is redundant with a historical post.

This past weekend was my first opportunity to test the auto pilot out on the water. When engaged to track to a waypoint directly using the Pilot or the 1971, I would immediately receive the error, “no speed data”. I went into the Pilot screen and changed the speed calculation from Auto to Manual and set it to 24knots, not knowing what speed I should indicate in manual mode. The pilot now tracks correctly to a waypoint when I select NAV on the pilot or engage the pilot from the 1971 to a waypoint. The pilot still does not work when I select Auto on the Pilot screen, to drive by heading. It only indicates an error message of “No Position Data”.

Please advise if I should change back to Auto for the speed and correct an issue elsewhere. If not, what indication should be chosen for speed?

What are some common reasons for the lack of position data? Thank you.

It sounds like the pilot data sources were not properly set. Has the installation setup fully been done with the pilot?

The installation set up was fully completed in 2016 upon initial install and configuration via NMEA 0183 with existing 1650 chartplotters. All pilot features worked fine until I introduced this upgrade. Do I need to run the initial setup again?

Yes, different equipment means different data sources and navigation sources. At least that part of the setup must be done.

Johnny,

I’ve read through the manual and tried for a long time to figure out how to re-run the installation set up again. I can’t find it. Perhaps when the unit was installed for the first time by a pro, there was a prompt that directed him through the process, but it is not apparent to me now. Please direct me so I can run the installation process again on this pilot. This appears to be my last bug to work out. Many thanks. Jason

Bullish,

In order to get into the NAVPILOT711C's Installation Menu, You must hold down the Menu Button (the one with the wrench symbol), and then press the Roto-knob three times. This will open the Installation Set-up Menu.

Turn the Roto-knob to scroll through the different menu pages, until you find the item that you are looking for. To close the Installation Set-up, simple push the Menu Button once.

- Deep Blue ;)

Thanks, I tried for a while to figure out which settings and sensor inputs needed to be updated. Couldn’t figure it all out. I called Furuno support and Ron walked me through it. We had to designate one 1971 unit to transmit data and then go into the pilot and pair up with only that unit. That seemed to do the trick. Tracking correctly to a waypoint or by compass (NAV & Auto). Thanks again.

Back