FI-501 problem or is it?

Zeljko

Hi I have FI-501 with FI 5001 sensor.
Couple days ago literally while I was watching FI-501 stopped displaying wind angle pointing to 0 degrees and wind speed 0.0 for both true and apparent.
Wind was very light at that stage.
FI 5001 is spinning freely both wind vane and cups for speed. Power cycled no change. Gone through FI-501 settings and performed factory reset got wind angle back on apparent wind but no luck with speed. Went up the mast today and tried my doare FI 5001, no change.
When measured in junction box between red and yellow wires get voltage and frequency or duty cycle changing kinda corresponding with wind changes.
My question is dud anyone experienced similar failure of FI-501 and any advice would be velcome

If you did a reset, make sure you set the FI501 back to looking at the FI-5001 (wind transducer) for wind and speed. Once you verify this if you still do not have speed then the speed transducer is probably bad. If you have a local dealer that can test the FI-5001 for you with a FI-501 instrument we can narrow it down to the FI-5001 or the display. Sending it in to be tested by Furuno USA is an option as well but there would be labor charges.

1697461089347.png

Last edited:
Hi I have FI-501 with FI 5001 sensor.
Couple days ago literally while I was watching FI-501 stopped displaying wind angle pointing to 0 degrees and wind speed 0.0 for both true and apparent.
Wind was very light at that stage.
FI 5001 is spinning freely both wind vane and cups for speed. Power cycled no change. Gone through FI-501 settings and performed factory reset got wind angle back on apparent wind but no luck with speed. Went up the mast today and tried my doare FI 5001, no change.
When measured in junction box between red and yellow wires get voltage and frequency or duty cycle changing kinda corresponding with wind changes.
My question is dud anyone experienced similar failure of FI-501 and any advice would be velcome
Hi. Had same problem and it almost drove me mad - just happend randomly.
At the end I found out (=believe) it was bad power on the N2k Net.
A N2k connector on another unit had corroded.
FI 501 does not have its own power supply but is depending on power from N2k...
Anyhow: Replaced the bad connector on the Compass with a new and problem with 501 went away.

Last edited:
Back