FI 50 Wind Angle Problem

David

I have a Bristol 38.8, equipped with a Furuno FI 50 wind instrument, and a FI5001 transducer. Last year I had the mast removed and the boat rerigged. Before that work the wind instrument worked properly. After re-installation, I have not been able to calibrate the instrument to properly display the wind angle. The other functions (wind speed, etc.) work properly, and only the wind angle display function appears to be affected.

I have attempted to calibrate the wind angle by using the ALI function in the set up program, by putting the bow into the wind and adjusting to 0. However, when I return to the operating display, and regardless of the actual wind angle, the wind angle indicator swings to point to the stern of the boat. It will then function only - and arbitrarily- within approximately 30° of either side of the center of the stern, not corresponding with the actual wind angle on the boat. I have attempted to account for this by entering a 180° error adjustment, without success.

The marina has checked and rechecked wiring coming out of the base of the mast, and the color coding appears to correspond on either side of the junction box with the instrument. There is no NMEA 2000 or other intervening junction. I am told that it is impossible to mis-connect the fittings at the top of the mast.

Can you suggest any other solutions?

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. No, the transducer at the masthead is pointing to the bow. We’ve checked that the wires are properly matched and connected. The problem seems to involve the calibration in some way.

Calibration is +/-30 not 360 degrees. The sensor must be mounted to the bow to work and calibrate. If the sensor is not flipped around then something is really wrong. If all the wiring is checked, the unit might need to go in for repair evaluation.

I’m having a wind angle problem too. Needle only points to within 10-15 degrees of either side of the stern of boat. I have noticed that wind transducer is mounted with cups on top rather than bottom. Could this be causing the problem?

If the cups are on top, the wind direction is not going to work properly.
There are also several different wind mode displays available. Ensure you are using the proper one for your needs. Wind Angle, Close Hauled Wind Angle, or Ground Wind. Close Hauled is a mode that a lot of people with motorboats call in about because they do not understand it.

Thanks for your reply. I went to the boat after my post and I was mistaken about the wind transducer being upside down. Your info about getting into close hauled mode is something I have not checked. Will look into it when I get back to the boat.

Calibration is +/-30 not 360 degrees. The sensor must be mounted to the bow to work and calibrate. If the sensor is not flipped around then something is really wrong. If all the wiring is checked, the unit might need to go in for repair evaluation.

Here’s a photo of the transducer unit at the masthead. It seems to be oriented correctl. The instrument reads out only in the 180 to 270 quadrant.

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpeg
    IMG_8461.jpeg
    702.6 KB · Views: 7
Is that mount twisted and the arm bent? That doesn't look right from what I can see.

Is that mount twisted and the arm bent? That doesn't look right from what I can see.
I don’t think so. I think it appears that way due to the angle of the photo. Here’s another view.

Attachments

• IMG_8460.jpeg
    IMG_8460.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8462.jpeg
    IMG_8462.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8461.jpeg
    IMG_8461.jpeg
    702.6 KB · Views: 6
So I went in and went through the various calibration categories and went the one for an offset input. I noticed that I was able to get the needle indicator to move based the input of this setting. But wasn’t able to wait for a wind change while at the dock to see if the indicator was tracking the changing wind angle.

Back