2015 TZT9/14 shows incorrect time and tides

Pearl

Hello,
I have a TZT9 (nav station) and 14 (cockpit pod) with networked GP-330B GPS receiver, Nexus speed/temp transducer, FI-50 wind instrument and Vesper XB-8000 AIS. I have updated the system on both MFDs to 6.03 and TZT6+02+Tides+Marine+Zones update (generating the expected update message "ChartCopyTool Succeeded"). I also installed the MM3-VNA-025 Canada West Coast vector charts purchased from a local authorized dealer (which worked great on our recent cruise to Desolation Sound).

I am unable to update the system clock on our MFDs using the system settings and the correct UTC -7 hr correction: this results in the wrong time being displayed. I can trick the system by using UTC -1. I also expect that with the GPS receiver the unit should display the correct time to the minute (which can't be tricked). But an even bigger problem was our updated tide tables were completely off during this trip, which involves some tricky tides and currents through several narrows in the Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound. Fortunately we had TZ iBoat running on an iPad and also connected to our AIS.

Could this be a Y2K issue that we haven't dealt with on the GPS receiver? We have only owned the boat about a year so are still figuring out what previous owners did or did not do (the plotters were running v4.01 on the TZT9 and 5.01 on the TZT14 when we purchased the boat).

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Its possible the gp330b is supplying a bad date+time. particularly easy to see if the date is off it's more than a time zone setting. Look up "gps rollover gp330b"
Your AIS should be able to supply time just fine since that has a contemporary gps

The displayed date is correct. Are you suggesting taking the GP330B offlline? I think it and the Vesper are same vintage (2015) so would expect the GPS receivers are comparable? I'm hoping my AIS will remain trouble-free now that Garmin has discontinued support after acquiring Vesper.

Since you have two GPS receivers on the boat, how about checking to see what is currently selected for date/time in "Sources" - That should be what you're currently observing with the date/time/tide issue. I'd then choose the other (probably the Vesper receiver) and note any differences.

Thanks to jp498 and Bayhouse for the suggestions. I won't be at the boat for a few weeks but will check which device is providing date/time to the chart plotters and try switching to the other. Will report back and also post whether this has resulted in our tide information being corrected as well. Very disconcerting to hit restricted passes where the chart plotter and displayed tide tables do not resemble the paper tide/current tables or another independent device!

Don't have correct time - I have to "trick" my chartplotters to display close to the correct time using UTC -1 in Seattle instead of UTC -7 and the time is a few minutes behind (no way to manually adjust minutes). And I have uploaded the TZT6+02+Tides+Marine+Zones update getting the expected message "ChartCopyTool Succeeded".

The tides displayed on the chart and when I pull up the stored tide table are WAY off.

And correct date is displayed so not sure what is going on,,,will try switching GPS source when I have a chance to get back to the boat at the end of the month.

I'm happy to report that after my last trip to the boat, I accessed the Sources menu and found the TZT9 (master) was set to take date/time from itself. After selecting the GP330B as the source, the correct local time and tide tables were displayed. Should the cockpit TZT14 date/time source be set to the GPS as well? I suppose this would ensure that if the TZT9 is off the correct time/date would also be input. Thanks again for the help solving this problem.

If they are properly networked together and both are on the 2000 bus; then everything should be good as the data source list is a global setting. When you set the source on the TZT9, it will automatically change for the TZT14 as well.

Back