1720 alternate scanner compatibility?/parts needed

woolybear3010

Hello
We just acquired a sailboat here in Sw Florida with an old Furuno 1720 Radar system. The display powers up and seems to operate normally -counting down to stdby and then coming on and toggling between economy etc - but we don't get an echo from the scanner. I checked the manual and tried basic troubleshooting, fuse is good, back of unit cables seem well attached.

My next step is to go up the mast and according to the other posts on 1720 here:

• 1.check the cable connections for radersignal and power inside the dome while the power is off
  • 2.check continuity of the signal and power cables- can someone describe how to do that up a mast with one person at the display end - ie what tools or instruments and the procedure ? - we have a pilothouse that prevents speaking outside so will need to be on bluetooth phones or radios to communicate
  • 3.If the above does not bring success, should I remove the dome and try to get it looked at by professional radar repair company- any recommendations?
  • 4.and/or are there any other scanners that are available on the used or new market that could communicate with the display?
[/list]

If all of these steps fail what system would someone be able to recommend to replace it? We also have a raymarine hybrid touch e7 Nav system that's maybe up to 10 years old that has AIS so we think this makes the 1720 redundant but a useful backup. Any opinions on this would be great.

Thanks in advance

The 1720 sold new in 1988. The roughly 30-32 year old radar has probably served it use. Unless you like climbing masts, I would recommend considering a newer radar and not spend too much time on it. By the sound of it, the display is most likely good but you never know for sure. Before talking about things that are compatible, you really need to know if the dome or the display is bad. There are other OLD radars that have some compatibility but it depending on if you need a dome or display and each would require it's own set of workarounds. Other the the 1720, there is no direct compatibility without some caveat. If you want to send it in for evaluation, they will still examine it. The problem is parts. There isn't any parts available including the MAG and MIC. You might see if you can find a used (working)1720 so you can at least have some spare parts.

Back