Which transducers to select?

Bayhouse

Furuno Super Fan
I have a 165T-50/200-SS260 transducer connected to the DFF3D and the sounder in my port side TZT19F.

The DFF3D & 165T seems to be working fine but I'm not wild about the return on the 50/200.
What transducer should be selected in setup for the SS260 (which I assume is for the 50/200 frequencies)?

Similar question - I have a B275LHW connected to the Stbd TZT19F - what transducer should be selected in setup?

Bayhouse,

For the 165T-50/200-SS260 transducer setup on your Port side TZT19F, you should be using the 1kW: B265LH for the 50/200kHz elements in the SS260

For the Starboard side TZT19F, that is connected the B275LHW transducer, select 1kW: B275LHW

- Deep Blue ;)

Great, thank you Deep Blue!

Another question, with both xducers on 200 kHz, what's the "minimum" depth I should expect?

I updated the settings today at the dock, rebooted both units and couldn't get a bottom lock (readings were ~600' of water) in Auto Range mode on either - depth was about 8'. With the 275LHW being chirp, I wouldn't expect (could be wrong) interference....

If a T-storm didn't blow through, I could have disabled one to test for interference that but I'll need to wait till tomorrow. Will get screen shots too if i'm still having problems.

Bayhouse,

For the High Frequency on the B275LHW you should expect around 500 ft, using the "High-Wide" constant 25 degree beam width.

For the SS260, the High Frequency depth should be around 1000 ft, with a beam width of about 6 degrees.

I hope this information is helpful..?

- Deep Blue :wink7

Sorry I wasn't clear in my question - how shallow will the xducer's accurately read and would I expect any interference from them both pinging away at 200KhZ?

Bayhouse,

Typically the minimum depth for transducer B275LHW and the SS260 on high frequency is around 6 ft. And use of both transducers at the same time with the same frequencies will have interference issues.

So I'd only run only one sounder on high frequency side whenever possible.

- Deep Blue :)

i disagree with using the B265LH for the transducer listed above.

The B265LH is a chirp transducer, and the 165T 50-200 SS260 has the 50/200 B164 elements in it. So I would absolutely not recommend a chirp transducer because the B164 does not have the low enough Q for that, and it probably doesn't have the ability to dissipate heat when chirped through that significant of a bandwidth as well. I have a B164 on my tzt3 equipped boat. I have chirped a B164 but only for about a 10 khz wide bandwidth, so not that much at all, and I don't think I gained hardly any resolution out of it.

I believe the transducer selected should be either :
526TID-HDD which is a 1kw B260, and run it with bottom discrimination and accu fish disabled, because you will receive erroneous false readings as a result of the elements not being B260 elements. You will still get 1kw output on the 50/200 frequencies of traditional sonar.

or

50/200-1T , which is another 1kw 50/200 transducer, but without the fancy bottom discrimination or accu fish. you'll still get 1kw output on the 50/200 frequencies of traditional sonar.

Reopening this thread, because I haven't been able to get the a reading at any depth (6' - 1000+') of the low frequency of the 165T 50-200 SS260. The HF of both transducers, as well as the DFF3D work mostly fine (probably have some fine tuning to do) but on LF, no bottom lock and the screen just bounces up and down.

Mattology, I missed your reply and will try the other 2 recommendations you made this weekend when fishing. Beyond that, open to suggestions on how to get the LF to find bottom on the 165T 50-200 SS260.

mattology":13y1rje4 said:
i disagree with using the B265LH for the transducer listed above.

The B265LH is a chirp transducer, and the 165T 50-200 SS260 has the 50/200 B164 elements in it. So I would absolutely not recommend a chirp transducer because the B164 does not have the low enough Q for that, and it probably doesn't have the ability to dissipate heat when chirped through that significant of a bandwidth as well. I have a B164 on my tzt3 equipped boat. I have chirped a B164 but only for about a 10 khz wide bandwidth, so not that much at all, and I don't think I gained hardly any resolution out of it.

I believe the transducer selected should be either :
526TID-HDD which is a 1kw B260, and run it with bottom discrimination and accu fish disabled, because you will receive erroneous false readings as a result of the elements not being B260 elements. You will still get 1kw output on the 50/200 frequencies of traditional sonar.

or

50/200-1T , which is another 1kw 50/200 transducer, but without the fancy bottom discrimination or accu fish. you'll still get 1kw output on the 50/200 frequencies of traditional sonar.

Had the boat out over the weekend and tried the 50/200-1T xducer and everything worked great. I thought it strange that I had chirp settings on a non-chirp xducer. Thank you Mattology!

Back