What to add to 1715 Radar?

A

Anonymous

Hello,
First time poster here..I have a 1715 I am about to install.

As it is NMEA0183, do I need to get the RD33 or would the GP33 be better since it could feed to newer MFDs that wouldn't receive info via NMEA0183?

Trying to have something I can build on and want to make sure I get the right navigator, as I realize alot of the newer MFDs/chartplotters won't interface with the older 1715..when I am ready to get one

Thanks for any help

Sweet Party,

First and foremost welcome to the Furuno Forum. We are glad to have you :jump

As far as your question goes, I would recommend the GP33 for your situation. The reason being is the GP33 is a fully functioning WGPS plotter that produces both NMEA0183 data (needed for the 1715) and NMEA2000 data you may need for future equipment. With the GP33 you'll be able to make a waypoint or route and when you choose to "goto" that route or waypoint, a "lollipop" will appear on your 1715 screen to show you exactly where to steer to on your 1715 screen. You also be able to view lat/long and various other NMEA sentences on the 1715 screen as well. To do this you will need to make sure you get a NMEA input cable for the 1715 (Furuno part #000-154-054) to accept NMEA data and an NMEA0183 output cable for the GP33 (Furuno part # 000-156-405) to supply the data to the 1715. The GP33 also make a great primary GPS (or backup GPS) if needed.

The RD33 is a nav data repeater used for repeating various NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 sentences from other equipment but is usally used when another GPS or other devices are already in use onboard.

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Stickman

Back