VX2 - not reading Sounder

Bayhouse

Furuno Super Fan
This system has been working fine for several years, VX2 connected direct to DFF1 sounder and a 1Kw Transducer.

I recently had the DFF1 cables disconnected for several days as I was working on an unrelated system. When I reconnected the DFF1 sounder, the VX2 no longer recognizes the sounder. There is no depth, temp displayed and when I going to test the sounder, the system flashes back to the menu screen immediately. All other features are working fine on the VX2.

The LED light is flashing at 2 sec intervals - have observed this for at least 5 minutes - but at some point, changes to solid (might be when I change the display option on the VX2).

I inspected the RJ45 plug and confirmed continuity from the plug connectors to the pins on the other end of the jumper, so I don't believe that's the issue.

This happened to me once before and I didn't have time to play with it before leaving the dock. While running out on a fishing trip, it seemed to suddenly start working but I don't know why or how.

Any other troubleshooting advice or tests to suggest?

Good afternoon Bayhouse,

Thank you for your inquiry.

So the DFF1 was disconnected for a couple of days and just sat on the vessel? Or was the DFF1 used to help troubleshoot a different system and taken off the vessel? Trying to get a better idea of what is going on?

How many Vx2 systems in the network?
Is there a network hub?
Are you trying to connect the DFF1 directly to the network port on the Vx2 using hub adapter cable?
If going to a hub what cable is being used?
What are DFF1 mode switches set at, should be able to remove a small rubber circular plug to expose the dip switches. For Vx2 use they should be: Down, Up, Up, Down.

C-Bass

C-Bass":31uckl57 said:
Good afternoon Bayhouse,

Thank you for your inquiry.

So the DFF1 was disconnected for a couple of days and just sat on the vessel? Or was the DFF1 used to help troubleshoot a different system and taken off the vessel? Trying to get a better idea of what is going on?

How many Vx2 systems in the network?
Is there a network hub?
Are you trying to connect the DFF1 directly to the network port on the Vx2 using hub adapter cable?
If going to a hub what cable is being used?
What are DFF1 mode switches set at, should be able to remove a small rubber circular plug to expose the dip switches. For Vx2 use they should be: Down, Up, Up, Down.

C-Bass
The DFF1 was just disconnected and sat on the boat for about 5 days, not removed or used for any other types of diagnostics.

There is a single VX2, no network hub.

The DFF1 and VX2 were fully operational in the same configuration for at least 2 years prior to this situation. I've also had it previously disconnected with no problems, so no dip switches have been changed and the same cables are being used.

Good afternoon Bayhouse,

Thank you for clarification. Normally this type of disconnection between the DFF1 and the NavNet Vx2 would not cause any sort of issue, so we will have to go through the steps to try and get the system back up and running.

1.) DFF1 Self-Test: You mentioned that when you tried to run the DFF1 Self-Test the test program will try to open the revert back to the previous menu. This is an indication that the NavNet is not seeing the DFF1 on the network.

2.) When the DFF1 flashes every 2-sec, that is normal operation, at some point the DFF1 LED will stay fully illuminated. This is another indicator that the DFF1 is not being recognized by the NavNet Vx2.

3.) We must first try to determine whey the DFF1 is not being recognized: Below is a typical connection between the Vx2 and the DFF1 using a Ethernet Cable to 6-pin port connector. This cable will need to plug into the network port on the NavNet Vx2.

DFF1 to Vx2.jpg

4.) If the cable is plugged into the correct port on the NavNet Vx2 then we will need to determine that the cable is working correctly. If you have another interface cable it would be something to try. If you don't have another network cable you will need to do a continuity test between the pins on the ethernet RJ45 and the 6-Pin Port.

Ethernet Plug--------------------------------------------------------6-Pin Plug
pin1 (Tx+)------------------------------------------------------------pin3 (Rx+)
pin2 (Tx-)-------------------------------------------------------------pin4 (Rx-)
Pin3 (Rx+)-------------------------------------------------------------pin1 (Tx+)
Pin6 (Rx-)--------------------------------------------------------------pin2 (Tx-)

5.) If the cable has correct continuity. Then you will need to verify that the Vx2 is looking for the correct source of data.

A.) Turn on the Vx2, then hit the [Display] button, then hit any of the (5) vertical soft-
keys. Please confirm the Sounder Source: should say: ETR0. If the mode switches
on the DFF1 are: Down, Up, Up, Down: then ETR0 should be the sounder source.

6.) If these steps do not work, we may have to try a reset on the sounder or the Vx2.

C-Bass

Thank you C-Bass. I did a continuity test from the RJ45 to the end of the 1' long jumper cable but not all the way to the VX2. I had good connections across the pins.

At this point though, I've sold the boat. If the new owners come back and ask about getting the sounder operational I'll have them do the additional testing and try the resets.

Thanks again for your help.

Back