VX2 - AIS Targets Show on Overlay but not Plotter

I have a NavNet VX2 with AIS data coming in on the network. AIS targets show up and track correctly when in Overlay mode - which is great as I'd mostly want to use it with Radar anyway, but when I'm just in Plotter mode they don't show up. I've searched for a setting to enable them on the standard Plotter display - but can't find one or mention of it in the manual. Anyone know where the setting is, assuming there is one?

I would first check that you have the newest version of software in the vx2 and check what chart card you are using. If you attempt to use the extra large area cards that cover the entire USA for example it will bog down the machine and the AIS will not show on the plotter. There will be other ill effects if running an unsupported chart card. When AIS doesn't show up on the plotter it normally is a sign that it is overly busy with something else. You might need to look at the data flow to see if you have a data loop or something that is tying up the machine.

I'm running the latest I think - 4.03? Program number on boot is 195002404.03.07.

The CMAP card is "Canada West Including Puget Sound"
M-NA-M025.39 MWM Spring 2017

I don't have a lot of stuff generating traffic

DATA1 - GPS/Radar
DATA2 - output to RD-33
DATA3 - PG500
NETWORK -> SWITCH -> ETR SOUNDER, FA-30

If it were a processing power problem - weird that it works when on Overlay-mode even with the radar running - where the seems even more data to process. Its quiet on the water this time of year - so probably only 5 or 6 AIS targets that I'm picking up, so it's not a target-overload thing.

Would you suggest I try disconnecting the PG500, sounder and GPS and see if targets appear on the Plotter view?

Your programming and card seem fine. I would almost expect a data loop with the RD30. Do you know how that is wired in and the RD30 I/O setup settings?

I forgot that I actually have a piggyback connection with my VHF on DATA2.

Wiring between the RD-33 is only one direction to the VHF is both (for GPS/DSC)

DATA2-> RD-33:
VX2 TX+ to RD33 RX+
VX2 TX- to RD33 RX-

DATA2 -> Std Horizon GX2000 connected to DSC
GX2000 NMEA GPS INPUT+ to RD33 TX+
GX2000 NMEA GPS INPUT- to RD33 TX-
GX2000 NMEA DSC OUTPUT+ to RD33 RX+
GX2000 NMEA DSC OUTPUT- to RD33 RX-

I'll check the RD-33 IO settings, I expect they are default - as I don't think I've ever messed with them, but if TX +/- isn't wired up it shouldn't really matter right? The N2K network is not connected to the Ethernet network in any way.

Got it working. Mucked with the chart page settings and turned on de clutter and changed some things like display - max to custom. Not sure the exact setting but I’m guessing there is less chart data now so they show up.

Glad to hear you got it working. I would recommend ensuring you don't have the RD30 sending the same data back to the Vx2 (data loop) because that will really slow things down.

Back