Volvo DPI drive gateway

Keta

I’m having a boat built that will have a Volvo with their newer DPI outdrive. Volvo really wants you to use their Glass Cockpit System which is Garmin. I don’t want this as I want to have Furuno products. TZT3, pilot, radar, SCX-20....maybe the DFF 3D.

The question....does the Furuno gateway work with the DPI drive???

It’s not an IPS drive. It’s Volvo’s newer Aquamatic DPI sterndrive. D6 340 DPI. It’s really hard to get info out of Volvo as they really want to push their Glass Cockpit which is overpriced Garmin. Commercially I operate with a lot of Furuno equipment...X & S band radars, WASSP, FCV 1900, CI 68 Doppler er cetera so I’m used to Furuno equipment and it’s reliability and want that versus Garmin for my sport boat.

The DPI drive has integrated electric steering. The boat builder thinks if we install Volvo’s 7” engine screen we should be able to install any brand of pilot as everything is NMEA 2000 regarding the engine. I’m just not 100% certain. I’m also assuming the software et cetera would be the same as the IPS but not sure about that either. Anyway I was hoping you guys had worked with Volvo regarding the DPI since you have with the IPS.

By the way if you’re one of the Camas guys. Say hello to Steve B or tell him Kim says hi.

Johnny Electron is a bit of a mystery so I can not confirm or deny my location. I do talk with Steve every so often, so I will pass on the greeting. No immediate answer from Japan about the drive system but hopefully soon.

hello, do we have any answers about it ??
I have a boat with an inboard motor, also aquamatic., DPI .
The electronics is from Furuno and I want to put the Nav 711.
I am very interested in the sabiki function. I see that it is only compatible with outboard motors.
The other functions of the autopilot, I suppose they will be compatible ???
any solution for Sabiki mode?
thanks
regards

I used to have a boat with twin inboard Volvo D6 Diesels. There was (and I believe still is) an interface box that Volvo sells that converts the data from their conventional 4" EVC engine displays to NMEA 2000 that could be displayed on your TZT 3s. It was about $300 but that was a while back. It worked quite well and sent PGNs with all of the basic engine data such as fuel rate, temperature, oil pressure, rpms, etc.

You might look into the possibility of getting the conventional square engine displays and the interface instead of the glass bridge display.

brai":2bj9totp said:
hello, do we have any answers about it ??
I have a boat with an inboard motor, also aquamatic., DPI .
The electronics is from Furuno and I want to put the Nav 711.
I am very interested in the sabiki function. I see that it is only compatible with outboard motors.
The other functions of the autopilot, I suppose they will be compatible ???
any solution for Sabiki mode?
thanks
regards
We're still working on mine. I have the D6-340 with the DPI drive. Electronics outfit messed up the order and didn't order the Pilot Volvo kit which includes the gateway. Gateway came, was installed and didn't work but supposedly it was the incorrect one. Right at the minute I'm waiting for the correct one to arrive. Furuno seems fairly confident that they can get it working with the DPI drive. I'm going with the Navpilot 300 mainly because of the remote that goes with it. I don't think the 711 has an available remote to use.

I'm also interested in the Sabiki mode but it isn't a game changer for me if it doesn't work on my boat. I'm assuming with outboards or an outdrive you have some directional control when backing into current and wind. Straight shaft with a rudder not so much.

Good morning , and happy new year everyone.
Keta ;
Thank you very much for your quick response, if you don't mind, keep me informed of your progress.
I have to wait a few months to put on the autopilot.
Meanwhile I am looking for a way to make it more efficient.
I agree that the option of the Nav 300 is better, because I do not see many differences and the 300 has the remote control.

Quitsa ;
I'm going to look at that option too, of course I would like to have all the engine information on my screen.
Thank you.

I am very interested in this topic as well. I am installing a Volvo D4 with the DPI drive and am interested in using a Furuno autopilot. The Garmin pilot is very expensive.

Good News!!! I installed the gateway yesterday....no joy so I put in a call to Furuno support. Anyway I had the problem figured before I actually talked to Eric. I didn't install the electronics. The installer missed or reversed a step. He had the parameter "EVC power supply" as an 'Input' instead of 'Output'. After I changed that everything started talking.

I took the boat for a quick spin in the Bay (Grays Harbor Washington). The boat is new, I was by myself plus there was a fair amount of junk in the water from the past storms so I didn't really do much testing other than to see if it steers by the pilot. It does. The main thing is it talks and works with the Volvo EVC...that's all that matters.

I did ask Eric if thru this gateway I'll be able to receive engine data, rpms et cetera. He wasn't sure but is checking. Kind of sounds like I'd have to install another gateway...hope not.

Thank you very much for telling us your experience, please keep us up to date with your progress.

It would be nice, if you could control the engine parameters.
I understand that so far you have added the heading sensor PG 700 and the Nav Pilot 300.
Let's see in fishing action how's it going !!!
Thanks again !!! Enjoy it !!!

brai":2j43jks8 said:
Thank you very much for telling us your experience, please keep us up to date with your progress.

It would be nice, if you could control the engine parameters.
I understand that so far you have added the heading sensor PG 700 and the Nav Pilot 300.
Let's see in fishing action how's it going !!!
Thanks again !!! Enjoy it !!!
Nope...I have the SCX20 for the heading sensor. Personally I feel if you're starting from scratch with a new boat the SCX20 is a no brainer. Price difference isn't that much versus PG700. The SCX20 will take away any of the worries of any magnetic influence on the heading sensor et cetera. It provides heave correction into my tzt3 plus I prefer to operate in true N up mode. Not that a day fishing sport boat needs it but I was surprised it'll give you barometric pressure and air temp data to the tzt3. Cool unit. I think Furuno is hitting it out of the park with this unit.

Hi Keta,
Thanks for posting your results. I am very interested to know how well the autopilot works, particularly at slow speed. I look forward to hearing your opinion.
Also, cold you please tell me the part number and manufacturer of the gateway you used.
Thank you very much

BruceFish1":2t9y8v9f said:
Hi Keta,
Thanks for posting your results. I am very interested to know how well the autopilot works, particularly at slow speed. I look forward to hearing your opinion.
Also, cold you please tell me the part number and manufacturer of the gateway you used.
Thank you very much
The gateway looks exactly like Volvos easyconnect that's in my system.
It says "For Furuno Autopilot, Part No: P-001095 R2A, Autopilot Gateway.
It is made in Sweden.

I haven't tested it much other than make sure it was talking to the Volvo system and steering the boat. When I had the boat at idle it seemed to steer fine but didn't test it much. I'm always confused of people stating certain pilots don't do well at slow speed. To me you set a course. If due to conditions the boat can't steer the desired course the pilot will toss in more angle to the rudder or outboards or sterndrive. When it gets hard over and you still can't steer the desired course you have the option of adding more thrust to overcome the conditions. Has nothing to do with the pilot. The only thing that would arise could be the pilot system itself. IE not enough pump et cetera to give quicker angle changes which I don't think would be a problem with the Volvo system. I could be wrong in my thinking but.....

Thanks much for the reply. I asked about slow speed performance because with the Raymarine autopilot I have now, the pilot has a very difficult time steering the boat at slow speed. I do not fully understand the reason but I know that I am able to steer the boat manually under the conditions that the autopilot is unable to do it. It would be very convenient if the autopilot could do the same. I am interested in the performance of the pilot at all speeds.
Also, thanks for the information on the Gateway. From my reading on the internet, this seems to be the critical part needed to make an autopilot work. Can you tell me where you bought it? I did a search on the internet and could not find anything on it.
Thanks again for your information.

I bought my electronics through Johnson Hicks in Santa Cruz. My boat a Farallon was being built in Sacramento so we chose Johnson Hicks to do the install. I ran out of time or Johnson Hicks didn't have time to do the install due to my work constraints fishing in Alaska so i picked the boat up, took it home to Washington with Johnson Hicks arranging the install when I got back home with a tech that does work for them here in Washington. All the parts including the gateway went through them.

Doing a quick search @ BOE Marine I found the Furuno NavPilot 300 IPS Volvo Penta IPS Package which is the entire kit that includes the gateway. The part number on the gateway is different than mine but I'm sure working with them or whoever can make sure you receive the correct one. Actually I think the original gateway that didn't work would have if the one parameter hadn't of been reversed on the pilot. I could be wrong on that. As far as I understand it Eric, one of the guys in the Furuno YouTube vids is the guy to talk to regarding this or pilots in general.
I know ours is the DPI drive but the package seems to work.

Hi Keta,
I just noticed that you have a 7 inch display. Do you think that had anything to do with the autopilot? I have ordered a 4 inch display for my engine and I need to know if I have to change that to a 7 inch display. It seems to me that the gateway is connecting the EVC bus to the autopilot and you are not working through the 7 inch display.
Thanks in advance for the information.

Back