Volvo D6 340 with DPI drive engine data into TZT3

Keta

I've been off the forum for a while.
I've been wanting engine and fuel data to be displayed on my two TZT screens as I wanted a larger readout that what the small Volvo Glass Cockpit screen gives. Basically a Garmin unit with a Volvo label.

Anyway I've found a multilink engine gateway made by Yacht Devices. It'll plug into the Volvo network block with the other side going into the Furuno NMEA backbone. Voila engine data to the larger screens. Very simple install. The only glitch I've had was not seeing remainly fuel tank volume. I would only see fuel percentage left. Basically it was a simple matter of adding tank volume via a micro sd card into the gateway which has a sd card slot. I'm happy now.

You would need tank sensors to show how much fuel is remaining. While you can up in manual calculations settings for fuel and take a guess, to really know and show fuel levels remaining, you must have tank sensors reporting to the 2000 bus.

You would need tank sensors to show how much fuel is remaining. While you can up in manual calculations settings for fuel and take a guess, to really know and show fuel levels remaining, you must have tank sensors reporting to the 2000 bus.
Thanks. It does have a tank sending unit but it goes straight into the Volvo EVC system. Total gallons left was displayed on the Volvo screen but it took a programming line change in the gateway. Basically changing it from default which means it's blocked to the capacity of the tank.

I can't seem to figure how if there is a method. Is it possible to make a screen with just one large gauge of the fuel tank? I can only get the gauge on the screen to a certain size. A screen like that would be a help when fueling as I could easily just glance into house to see the screen.

I had a pair of Volvo D4-300s and connected them via s Volvo part that was an interface box between the EVC and the NMEA 2000 backbone. This converted the engine data visible on the EVC displays into NMEA 2000 PGNs that could be put on any NMEA 2000 display including the TZT 2s that I had at the time. I would feel more confident with the Volvo interface than the Yacht Devices gateway but the latter may be worth a try as I would guess it is a lot cheaper.

As for the tank gauge, I don't think there is any way to make it bigger than the "large" option in the set up. Honestly I think there is a lot to be said for an old-fashioned analogue fuel tank gauge. They are cheap and usually quite accurate especially at the upper end of their range when tank shape is less of a factor. The electronic ones using a NMEA 2000 tank sender (which I also have) are finicky about calibration.

I recently installed the TLM-100 sensors with the focus tubes from Maretron on my 4 tanks. Once I got them properly calibrated using their programming tool it produced an estimated gallons remaining in the tanks based on the level.

Attachments

• 20231008_111209.jpg
    20231008_111209.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Back