Vector charts -- improving useability

I have a NN3D, and am using almost-up-to-date charts, both Raster and Vector (the NOAA charts). Current versions are being downloaded as we speak.

I know that NOAA is letting raster charts die, and we need to learn to deal with the reduced data-set provided by vector charts. Time to get with the times. I've started using vector and playing with settings to make them as usable as possible. I've made good progress. Three questions that would help immensely.

1) The chart depths are indicated in tiny numerals. Zooming, of course, doesn't change them. I'm old and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Is there a setting to change the numbers from what appears to be about a 5-point font to something more like 8 or 10 point?

2) Also helping readability, is there anything that can be done about the color choices for the depths? In open water, they are OK (a blue on white). In shallower waters, they are a blue surrounded by a microscopic white circle, in the blue-shaded water. Very hard to read.

3) ATON data is buried in the vector data, and can be accessed by scrolling over to the item and clicking on it. A fundamentally dangerous process (I think the USCG calls it "electronic assisted collisions" where users are scrolling and clicking and not looking where they are going). Is it possible to get a more raster-like display, where things like light characteristics are always shown? I've found the menu choice to get the mark number to show, but I'd really like the full data set to show so I can see charateristics at a glance without scrolling and clicking.

Thanks!

I am a fan of the Raster charts as well, so I feel your pain here.
1. This cannot be adjusted.
2. Menu - Chart - Vector | You can make the Shallow, Safety, and Deep Contour settings more shallow. This would make more area white or light blue.
3. Menu - Chart - Vector and Custom Config | All you can do is turn on all the settings. Some things still require you to click on the chart object.

Fish,

Thanks. Not a great answer -- but the facts are the facts, and that drives the answer. I'll learn/adapt.

My chart plotter/nav system is getting up in years, and will need replacement in the next few years. I'm starting to learn what does/doesn't work, and what to look for/avoid in the next system. Does Furuno make any newer systems that address these issues? Obviously, basic usability trumps a lot of other "cool" features!

Thanks again,

Harry

Much of this is a product of the charts. However, I do feel that the newer displays with higher resolutions are easier to read. The TZTXL has added a few options to the way charts are displayed. Do you have a Furuno dealer nearby that you could visit to "push some buttons"?

Fish,

Thanks. Not a great answer -- but the facts are the facts, and that drives the answer. I'll learn/adapt.

My chart plotter/nav system is getting up in years, and will need replacement in the next few years. I'm starting to learn what does/doesn't work, and what to look for/avoid in the next system. Does Furuno make any newer systems that address these issues? Obviously, basic usability trumps a lot of other "cool" features!

Thanks again,

Harry
I am also a devotee of raster charts. However, I use the TZiBoat app on my iPad and the new charts available under the subscription program are vector charts that are nearly as good as raster charts in my opinion. They also have excellent detailed bathymetric data. I believe that these are basically the same charts now available on the TZT XL series although not backwards compatible with the TZT 3 sadly.

I am also a devotee of raster charts. However, I use the TZiBoat app on my iPad and the new charts available under the subscription program are vector charts that are nearly as good as raster charts in my opinion. They also have excellent detailed bathymetric data. I believe that these are basically the same charts now available on the TZT XL series although not backwards compatible with the TZT 3 sadly.
You are correct.

Back