V8 Software Upgrade

Finally got everything dialed in! Love some of the new features! Guess I should update my equipment more often!!! Thanks to everyone for the help!

I too am going to attempt a V, 8.01 up date from V 4. Actually I need to also update my DRS4DNXT radar as well. I see there is an update available for the DRS4DNXT on the website.

My question is after I install V, 8 update on my TZT2 will the new "check for software update" on the TZT2 also update my older version DRS4DNXT?

Hopefully this hasn't been answered yet, sorry if I missed it, maybe others are wondering the same thing

I kinda thought so because last night I just installed V.8 software update in my TZT2 and tried the new” check for software update” to see if I could update the NXT. I did download the instrument update and tried several times to update my DRS4D-NXT last night. Each time I tried the instrument update it would start off OK and the yellow bar on the bottom of the FURUNO screen would scroll from left to right for several minutes and then I got the “Now Initializing” page for a couple minutes but would not move onto sensor update (uploader) window. Instead the screen would return to my chart page. I tried it several times with both a usb memory stick as well as a freshly formatted (fat 32) Micro SD card in a USB adaptor. I must have tried 3 or 4 differed cards and usb memory sticks. Each time I got the same results. Im thinking it might be something I missed when I copied the files onto the cards. The way I copied the down loaded files onto my card was. I opened the sensor software update folder and saw that there is one folder, the uploader and 4 other files. I put those 4 files and the one folder onto my card/memory stick. I tried that several times and each time it failed I would take that card and erase it then re-format it (fat-32) then the uploader folder and the 4 others files.

Since that method doesnt work I tried opening the uploader folder where there was 15 folders and 9 files and copied that onto the card/ memory stick and still it wouldn’t work. What am I doing wrong?

In any case I now have a couple more questions about the V 8.01 update for the TZT2 but first allow me to explain my install of V 8.01 last night .

prior to the V 8.01 update las night I saved all my settings, routes and points to a micro sd card then installed the v 8.01 update. Everything went in fine so I checked my files and the map and all my points, routes and settings were the same as before. Didn't loose any of it, then I remembered I still needed to do the factory reset/clear and realized thats where ill loose my settings, points and routes.

I preceded to do the factory reset. I noticed there is a new way of doing the reset via the SERVICE MAN selection. This is the first update I have tried using this method. It was much easier than the old way and the new Furuno directions were very easy to follow and understand. Right after I did the factory “service man” reset I went back to check on my points, routes and settings and sure enough they were all gone so I figured the reset was good.

I then went and uploaded my Points, Routes and settings I had saved prior to the update. Again everything went good and my points and routes were now visible in my files and charts but now my chart started spinning and a red message popped down from the top of the screen, “Heading lost. I thought that was weird because most of my other settings had uploaded.

I went into the data source page and noticed that my PG-700 heading sensor was set to TZT2 and I changed it to the PG-700. Now my chart isnt spinning and the “heading lost” message had disappeared. When I open up the Data Source menu on the right side of the screen there are two columns “Current” and “Preferred” what do these mean? I assumed that the “Current column indicates what the TZT2 is using at the moment for a sensor and the preferred column is the sensor I should be using. Is that correct?

I remember that when I up loaded the old settings I had saved prior to the 8.01 update that the data source information would also be included when saving and uploading “Settings”. Is this a possible bug in the software that data source is included into settings when saving and re-installing after an update? Do I now need need to go through the data source and manually re-set everything?

I went from V4.01 to V 8.01 on the tzt2 but when I did past updates I don’t ever remember ever having any issues like this with the data source not being included when saving and then up loading back into my TZT2 after a new software update.

There are a lot of setting versions between v4 and v8. I would not recommend restoring v4 user settings. I would just restore the waypoints and routes and then check everything in the settings to your liking.

When I open up the Data Source menu on the right side of the screen there are two columns “Current” and “Preferred” what do these mean? I assumed that the “Current column indicates what the TZT2 is using at the moment for a sensor and the preferred column is the sensor I should be using. Is that correct?

Yes. "current" is what it is currently using and "preferred" is what you prefer you primary source to be. When everything is working correctly, they are normally the same. For example if you select PG700 for heading it will normally be in both columns if working well. If there is a problem with the source the NavNet will go looking for a secondary source and might use that until the primary comes back online. The system will return to primary as soon as it sees good data from it without operator intervention. The old NN3D would do this but not return to primary until the machine was power cycled. TZT will do it on the fly.

OK thanks Johnny thats good to know but I already uploaded my settings from V4 but at least I know that I will need to go back and check all of them.

Can you give me any advice for the sensor updating issue I am having. I extracted the folders from the uploader and the other files. Each folder has a different instrument name, then copied them over to the memory stick. Is this correct or do I then need to open every individual instrument folder and then copy those files over to the memory stick. I tried it so many different ways last night im starting to confuse myself.

Thanks

When using the sensor update the files and UPLOADER folder should be seen on the root of the USB. It seems you said you have opened the uploader folder and copied them over; not how it is done. The uploader folder with it's contents should be at the root. Beside the instructions at Furuno USA; you might also refer to these from Furuno.com.
https://www.furuno.com/en/support/uploader/howto_sensor

Thanks Johnny. I think the first time I attempted the up date I did it the correct way. didnt open the uploader folder, just transferred over uploader and 4 files below it to the card. Maybe it was a bad cad and I assumed that it was how I transferred the uploader so I tried opening the uploader and then copying the folder. I will use a new and smaller usb stick and re try it the correct way..

Thanks

I just found this on the Furuno USA website under the FI70 page. It appears to be a different instruction guide that the link you provided for updating the FI70.

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/sites ... r_tzt3.pdf

This guide specifically states that the tzt2 should be OFF prior to inserting the instrument update into the tzt2. Then turn on the TZT2. My prior attempts to update my FI70 and DRS4DNXT I started with the TZT, Radar and FI70 on before I inserted the update USB following the instruction file you posted. It did not mention anything about the TZT being off prior to installation but does not mention if the FI70 should be off or on.

Which directions should I follow? Should the TZT be off or on when I insert the USB with the updates?

Sorry for the confusion but im truly baffled by the contradictory installation guides

The instructions I recently provided the link to, is from our Parent company and the ones from the FI70 were written by Furuno USA. Both are correct, but when inserting the Uploader software it will take the machine about to minute to notice you have inserted something, so you don't want to immediately try to start the process until you give the machine a second to see the memory. If you can't seem to get through the process or get good memory that works, you can always order a pre-tested software update kit from your dealer. (p/n TZT-2BB-SOF for the TZT2BB and p/n TZ2-SOF-SD1 for the L12F/L15F)

Last night I was finally successful updating my DRS4DNXT but only partially successful with the FI-70.

Unfortunately it appears that I was only able to update to V 1.10. I had V 1.05 prior to the update.

When I did the update after the “now initializing” part I checked the two boxes for the the FI-70 that said “APP” and “B program”. It went through all the progress stages but it showed one of the two parts failed (cant remember which one) so I started the process again and the second time it sad it updated.

Prior to this I spoke to John at Furuno support for advise on an auto pilot pump but also discussed the update issues I was having. He advised that I only check one instrument box to update at one time. After completing the update for one instrument go back to step one reload the update software then check the next instrument box to be uploaded. I started with the FI-70 then went back again to the remaining part of the FI-70 that failed the first time and checked that box. This time it did not give me an error so I moved onto the DRS4DNXT. Reloaded the usb and checked the box for the NXT. While I was on that page I Saw that there was sill available the box for the FI-70 update item “APP” and farther to the right under “Current Prog#” it said 01.10:01.01. Farther to the right of that under “Prog# in storage device” it showed 01.01:**.**

Is it possible that when I loaded the updates off the webpage I only got part of the FI-70? I did notice that on Furuno USA website under the update history page that it only shows V 1.11as the most recent up date for the FI-70 but when I go over to the Parent company website furuno.com their FI-70 update history page shows V 1.13. Could it be possible that whoever programed the FI-70 update left off parts of the most recent V1.13?

Also just in case anyone else has had a hair pulling experience updating software for the TZT2 Instruments updates. The initial issue I had where the TZT2 would not accept my update software was probably due to the fact that I had been copying the update file from the website using a Macbook pro. I also reformatted (FAT 32) with the MacBook Pro. It looks like it should work but for whatever reason it only worked after I had used my Fathers PC uploading the updates from the Furuno website after I reformatted the usb memory stick on the PC.

Evidently the TZT2 update to V 8 worked fine using my MacBook Pro for both reformatting and up load the V8 update. Since that worked using my Mac It never occurred to me that it wouldn’t work for the instrument updates.

Back to my FI-70 issue:
My plan, unless you advise something different, is to go to furuno.com this time and download the Instruments update instead of from the Furuno USA website I used before.

Using a MAC is typically problematic. Normally if updating a lot of sensor items, I recommend the one at Furuno.com because it is the full list of available sensors. The updates at FUSA is normally targeted just to the device being targeted. (The unit for which the software is placed under on the website)

I ended up ordering the update card from my Furuno dealer but It
probably wont come in until later this week or next. In the mean time I Downloaded the update a second time and reformatted using a pc from Furuno,com website and tried it one last time for the FI-70. Both the App and B program. The last time all I got to update was the App . Ya, it worked and I verified on the sensor list to make sure I got the V1.13. I did a two day trip right after and really like the TZT2 v8. Unfortunately my satellite overlay isnt there anymore. I verified I set it for “on” but nothing.

Can you tell me how I can get it back or is there some new setting to make it work?
I had ordered and installed the USA-West coast & Hawaii Vector chart from MapMedia vector chart back in 2015. Did the v8 software update wipe it out?

Steve

The software update has ZERO to do with what you have loaded onto your chart card. If you didn't modify your chart card; it is still there. You might need to re-enter you unlock licence code. If you can't find your code; call support and they can look it up by your system ID#.

Sat photos again should be on your map card, so maybe you don't have that seated well or not put back after the update. If you have DFF3D PBG turned on, it shares the SAT mapping layer so it is see the PBG OR see SATs. You can't do both at the same exact moment in time. (Assuming you have a TZT2BB with V8 and PBG display is on; SATs won't show. Noting that TZT2 12/15F units don't allow PGB)

I have the TZTL12F. Its possible when I re-inserted the map card after the update I might not have perfectly seated it back in its slot. I have the TZT2 unit flush mount into the dash and there is just enough room for my hand to get to the screws from under the dash by feel. I used a tweezers to pop out the card and re-install it and maybe I didn't push it in all the way. Ill recheck that its in correctly

I will also re-enter my map unlock code and see if that works.

I dont have the DFF3D or SC20 yet. Currently im using a PG700 for the heading sensor but im planning on adding both the DFF3D and a SCX20 to my system however your last response indicated that the TZT2 12F/15F don't allow for PBG mapping. Is that correct?

I dont really need PBG anyway but I do need to see bottom structure .My TZT2 12F when I add the DFF3D and SCX20 will I be able to see real time both structures in 3D?

I dont have the DFF3D or SC20 yet. Currently im using a PG700 for the heading sensor but im planning on adding both the DFF3D and a SCX20 to my system however your last response indicated that the TZT2 12F/15F don't allow for PBG mapping. Is that correct?
Correct.

I dont really need PBG anyway but I do need to see bottom structure .My TZT2 12F when I add the DFF3D and SCX20 will I be able to see real time both structures in 3D?
Yes, you will have everything but the PBG. You will still have 3D history, Cross Section, Down view etc.

Thanks for answering my questions Johnny. It saved me alot of headache doing any more trial and error attempts with continuous downloading of the instrument software between FUSA and F.com websites. I will be upgrading my system with the DFF3D and SCX20 now that yo verified ill be able to see bottom structure with my TZT2.

Thanks again,
Steve

I have a TZT 2 on my network along with two TZT 3s and I have a DFF-3D. I can confirm from experience that as Johnny noted, the DFF-3D works exactly the same way on the TZT2 as on the TZT3, you just can't record the bottom contours (PBG).

Just bought new to me boat and I'm am very new to Furuno coming from Lowrance. I think i was successful on my update after a few emails to Furuno. If I can see the fish it and drift it function is it safe to say it upgraded? when i check for current software updates i get error message. also, is there a way to figure out what tansducer i have? it is a in hull and it has been fiberglass over. Thanks

Back