Updating a tzt3

Seth27959

I cannot for the life of me get this unit to update.
I have tried about 10 different SD cards and flash drives. I have about 4 to 5 hours in this hot boat between yesterday and today making numerous attempts. I have done everything the Furuno instructions tell me I have used fat 32, I do everything in the order that it tells me too. My files are unzipped, I turn the unit off I plug it in. I turn it on it does not read it. I’m at Whits end with this thing. And I do not even care about the new features at all. I just want to go fishing without it, constantly asking me to center my vessel , I am still on version 2.01. I don’t even know how many attempts I’ve made since I’ve owned this unit to update it. I’ve even tried 3.01 before trying 3.5 and nothing.
What royally pisses me off is that when I decided to buy this unit one of the main reasons I bought it was that it was capable of updating via wifi.
Which was a blatant lie.
There’s even a Furuno video saying it would update via wifi with vs 2.01. Its still on youtube to this day.

Last edited:
v3.01 or better is needed for the wi-fi update to function. Having v2.01; you must use the USB method. Normally memory sticks the size of 4 or 8GB work best. (don't use media larger than 32GB) We don't normally recommend changing the format from the SD format as it comes out of the package. It should be done with a PC as MAC almost always fails to get the data on the USB correctly or maintain proper compatibility. Our dealers offer pre-tested upgrade kits for those who rather not build their own update stick. (Part number TZ3-SOF-USB). I can't say why yours isn't working except to say some brands of media can be a problem and maybe try a different brand memory stick, if you have followed all the other guidance.

v3.01 or better is needed for the wi-fi update to function. Having v2.01; you must use the USB method. Normally memory sticks the size of 4 or 8GB work best. (don't use media larger than 32GB) We don't normally recommend changing the format from the SD format as it comes out of the package. It should be done with a PC as MAC almost always fails to get the data on the USB correctly or maintain proper compatibility. Our dealers offer pre-tested upgrade kits for those who rather not build their own update stick. (Part number TZ3-SOF-USB). I can't say why yours isn't working except to say some brands of media can be a problem and maybe try a different brand memory stick, if you have followed all the other guidance.
What are the update benefits of V3.01over the old version?

Hi Johnny or someone else..

Some simple questions that may already be answered somewhere else... :-/
1. Where can I find update release notes?
2. Where can I download the updates?
3. Where do I find update instructions?

I cannot for the life of me get this unit to update.
I have tried about 10 different SD cards and flash drives. I have about 4 to 5 hours in this hot boat between yesterday and today making numerous attempts. I have done everything the Furuno instructions tell me I have used fat 32, I do everything in the order that it tells me too. My files are unzipped, I turn the unit off I plug it in. I turn it on it does not read it. I’m at Whits end with this thing. And I do not even care about the new features at all. I just want to go fishing without it, constantly asking me to center my vessel , I am still on version 2.01. I don’t even know how many attempts I’ve made since I’ve owned this unit to update it. I’ve even tried 3.01 before trying 3.5 and nothing.
What royally pisses me off is that when I decided to buy this unit one of the main reasons I bought it was that it was capable of updating via wifi.
Which was a blatant lie.
There’s even a Furuno video saying it would update via wifi with vs 2.01. Its still on youtube to this day.

Are you using a Windows PC to download the update and create the USB memory stick? It can be problematic to use a Mac. You are certain that the files on the USB stick look exactly like the picture in the instructions in terms of what is in the root drive and what is in a folder? Ifit is not reading, it sounds like the update program file is not being loaded, which usually means it is not in the root drive. I have two TZT2 and two TZT3 units between my two boats and had two TZT 2 units on my old boat and have successfully downloaded and installed many, many updates ever since the TZT2 was introduced nearly 10 years ago. It definitely works!

It's a pain, have to have a old format clean thumb drive download the soft on it then unzip, then follow the 10 step instructions, all available on the furuno website

Hi Johnny or someone else..

Some simple questions that may already be answered somewhere else... :-/
1. Where can I find update release notes?
2. Where can I download the updates?
3. Where do I find update instructions?
Hey Danny,

Follow the link below and then scroll down to the software section. You should be able to find all three items there:

Back