TZT2 radar and sounder issue

Jagsare1

Furuno Fan
12kw open array attached. Radar would not pick up targets for the first time. Settings checked, tried manual and auto settings. Smply would not "see" targets. Lines on screen look kinda like a fan. Once back inshore, it began to pick up targets again, clearly picked up channel markers(for example) but still acted wonky. Red ribbon was coming on occasionally saying RADAR VIDEO ALARM.

Fishfinder - I have a 1kw tilted element transducer. Originally connected to a Furuno 585 years ago. Fantastic unit. Simply and worked perfectly. While trolling, would easily read 2800'(not much bottom detail but could see bottom). Furuno suggested the TZT2 would be a huge FF upgrade with that transducer. It has barely worked since installed. Loses bottom in shallow water constantly. When in deep water using low frequency, simply not functional. Cannot find bottom even while not moving. This is not a new issue, it has been this way since the TZT2 was attached to the 1kw tilted element.

I haven't done any updates in years because I am scared of updates causing more issues. For the moment, the boat is 350 miles away so I can't easily get to it to check. Thoughts?

It would be good to see photos of the radar and the install area. It almost sounds like water has gotten inside the radar. The transducer sounds like a B164 for which I am not a big fan of on any sounder unless there are no other options. The FCV585 has more sounder circuits but the result should be very similar to what was seen. Whomever says changing a 1kw 50/200 for another 1kw 50/200 is going to be a big upgrade was not being realistic. The B164 doesn't offer anything to the TZT2 that it didn't offer the FCV585. It sounds like the transducer setup isn't right unless something has happened to the transducer like marine growth etc. Ensure it is setup for MANUAL 1kw 50/200 and not a different transducer model. The largest mistake done with TZT2 and B164 is selected a different model transducer in the setup because the B164 is not listed. When using a different model the performance would be poor. The transducer could always be tested with an Airmar TDT1000 if you continue having issues.

Back