TZT2 radar issues after V8 update

Hooter73

Hi All.
After installing V8 earlier this year I have experienced an issue where the radar performance for registering targets has significantly decreased from the previous software version I was running. ( V1 - don’t laugh) For example previously I could pick up smaller boats (16 - 22 foot) from 4 miles no problems, but now I struggle to pick them up within a mile in dead calm conditions.
Yes I have adjusted the available settings on the radar screen and even on 100% gain / 0 % sea I fail to pick up the targets at distance - are there any other changes buried in the settings that I can adjust to fix this? I do recall seeing a post where someone else had the same issue and I think they received a link to re-install a previous version for the radar only which fixed this problem. I’m running a DRS4DL with my TZT2 and haven’t changed anything material that would affect this.

Any help or direction appreciated

The first question is did you do a hard factory reset on your TZT 2 after the software update?
The next questions is did you try just resetting the radar to its default settings? In the radar menu, you will find two options and you should do both. One is "Reset default settings" and the other is "Set Hardware to Factory Default." Then go back and do the initial settings such as identifying your radar units, etc.

If that doesn't work, your best bet is to call Furuno tech support while you are on the boat and review the issues with them.

Hi Quitsa

Yes I did perform the factory reset but I don’t think I have reset the radar to factory default after the initial reset.

I’ll give that a go - thanks for the help

Cheers

Hooter73":ii3x9sli said:
Hi All.
After installing V8 earlier this year I have experienced an issue where the radar performance for registering targets has significantly decreased from the previous software version I was running. ( V1 - don’t laugh) For example previously I could pick up smaller boats (16 - 22 foot) from 4 miles no problems, but now I struggle to pick them up within a mile in dead calm conditions.
Yes I have adjusted the available settings on the radar screen and even on 100% gain / 0 % sea I fail to pick up the targets at distance - are there any other changes buried in the settings that I can adjust to fix this? I do recall seeing a post where someone else had the same issue and I think they received a link to re-install a previous version for the radar only which fixed this problem. I’m running a DRS4DL with my TZT2 and haven’t changed anything material that would affect this.

Any help or direction appreciated

There has been a few changes in how Furuno displays the radar echo colors from version 1 to version 8, of course I would perform the default settings option previously mentioned, but also would pick a good target like a Radar Racon, drop my settings to 0 and slowly raise them until the beacon appears as I reorient myself to the new schema.

If it isn't color pallet related, it also could be mechanical. I might check how many TX hours are on my DRS4DL's 80-0691 maggy -- which may be considerably weak if it hasn't ever been replaced since installation. Otherwise have it brought to a local Furuno dealer for inspection.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Thanks For the response Maggy

I’ll try the reset on the weekend - I’ve zeroed out the settings and built them up on a target as mentioned with no luck and the magnetron has only done around 300 hours. If no-one else has experienced this issue it must be unit related - hopefully the reset will fix it

Appreciate the help

Cheers

Quitsa":3qatt3hn said:
The first question is did you do a hard factory reset on your TZT 2 after the software update?
The next questions is did you try just resetting the radar to its default settings? In the radar menu, you will find two options and you should do both. One is "Reset default settings" and the other is "Set Hardware to Factory Default." Then go back and do the initial settings such as identifying your radar units, etc.

If that doesn't work, your best bet is to call Furuno tech support while you are on the boat and review the issues with them.

Thanks fot the assistance Quitsa and Maggy - I performed a factory reset on the radar only and the signal strength has improved back to what it should be. Gain on 100% now greens out the screen which it wasn't doing before and I can build up the profile on smaller targets. All settings are the same again now with about a 40% improvement in target aquisition

Appreciate the help

cheers

Back