TZT2 depth reading disappeared

jaredjensen

I have a TZT2 plotter at both the lower and upper helms. Yesterday, the depth reading on both was displayed as just dashes ("---"), even though three other devices on the NMEA 2000 network were displaying the depth correctly. I tried setting those other devices as the source in Settings > Data Sources > Depth, to no avail.

What can I do to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks!

What you setup as the data source for depth is what is going to be used in the data boxes. You must be careful because many boats have several sources of depth. Smart sensors if you have more than one should be on diffrent instance numbers so they don't conflict. Whenever you pick the source in the data source list, it should update and show the data of that selected selected right there on that page. If no data is shown on the sensor list, the unit is not seeing data and the unit or bus needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the response. I should have noted this just started happening after having owned the boat for 10 months with no device or configuration changes.

Your description makes sense to me, which is why I'm confused. The other devices (e.g. FI-70, RD-33) show the depth correctly. However, when setting those as the TZT2 data source, the TZT2 just displays "---" for depth. I would have thought the TZT2 would simply echo whatever those other devices are putting on the bus.

I've only got one depth transducer, but I'll double-check there isn't some configuration left over for an identical instance number from the previous owner. And also confirm depth data is appearing on the bus using my NMEA reader.

Thanks!

Check that the TZT2 is seeing other bus items correctly. Maybe you have an intermittent drop cable. If you have more than one TZT2, try powering up the other TZT2 first (so that it manages the 2000 bus) and see if anything changes.

Check that the TZT2 is seeing other bus items correctly. Maybe you have an intermittent drop cable. If you have more than one TZT2, try powering up the other TZT2 first (so that it manages the 2000 bus) and see if anything changes.
Reviving this post since I'm having consistent trouble with this now.

I've got an Airmar DST800 NMEA2000 transducer, and the depth shows reliably on the FI-70 and RD-33. I cannot get the depth to show on either TZTL12F, regardless of which I start first. The "current" data source seems to bounce around between FI-70, RD-33, and the TZ itself, regardless which is set as the "preferred" source. Data from other NMEA sensors, like my LCJ wind sensor, does show reliably on the plotters. I'm only having trouble with depth.

Is there a way to have the TZ read the depth PGN directly from the bus?

The TZ does list the Airmar in the sensor list, but it's not an option for depth in the Data Sources screen.
I should have mentioned this, but the Airmar doesn't have a name shown in the sensor list and there's no option to set one (it's just blank). Could this be why the TZ doesn't use it as a data source?

The TZ must see the device in order to select it as a primary source. If the device is not showing up on the sensor list but seen by others it seems something is wrong with the bus that needs to be sorted.

The TZ must see the device in order to select it as a primary source. If the device is not showing up on the sensor list but seen by others it seems something is wrong with the bus that needs to be sorted.
The Airmar IS showing on the sensor list, but its name is blank. It does NOT show as an option for a depth data source. The "current" data source for depth cycles between the TZ, FI-70, and RD-33 every few seconds, never showing a depth reading. Those other devices show a good depth reading consistently.

If not showing its name it isn't talking clearly or the bus is an issue where it isn't being heard clearly. The TZT must see the good PGN data to be able to select it as a source and have it lock in. NMEA.ORG requires they identify themself on the bus. Something is wrong. If it were mine, I would cut the backbone down to just the MFD and the depth sensor removing all the other tees and wiring. If that works keep adding items and see which cable/tee brings the grief. If you have access to a maretron NMEA 2000 tester, I would test the best with that.

If not showing its name it isn't talking clearly or the bus is an issue where it isn't being heard clearly. The TZT must see the good PGN data to be able to select it as a source and have it lock in. NMEA.ORG requires they identify themself on the bus. Something is wrong. If it were mine, I would cut the backbone down to just the MFD and the depth sensor removing all the other tees and wiring. If that works keep adding items and see which cable/tee brings the grief. If you have access to a maretron NMEA 2000 tester, I would test the best with that.
Thanks for confirming the blank name in the sensor list indicates a problem. I'll do as you suggest and strip down the bus to just the Airmar and TZT, and also view the bus data with my Actisense NMEA reader.

I ended up taking my Wakespeed regulators off the bus and power cycling the Airmar, and then the depth started appearing on the TZ and the Airmar shows as a data source option. I'm not sure if the Wakespeeds caused a problem, but they're not NMEA certified so it wouldn't be surprising. I might look at adding a bridge to filter the non-NMEA traffic from the Wakespeeds if I decide to put them back on the bus.

Thanks again for the tips!

Back