TZT2 12F Internal GPS not working

joetkach

The internal GPS on my TZT2 stopped working for about an hour over the winter, then everything came back up and had no further issues. 2 other GPS units (VHF and HBird) were both working with no issues.

Fast forward to today, turned my unit on in the driveway and it won't pick up any satellites. Home Screen, Satellite icon, and nothing, I have a center console with, again two other gps units fully functional, any ideas?

This unit is less than 6 months old.

Thanks

Joe

If it has two layers of blockage (like hard top and then also being installed in closed console) it might not be getting signal on cloudy days when the GPS signal coming through is lower. If this is mounted on top of the console (not in it) or in the console without being hard covered, then the unit might need to be check out. When you have it layers also with other electronics giving RF; it is best to have an external GPS sensor that can get clear view of the sky during poor weather or less than ideal circumstances.

Thank you.

After a while (at least 30 minutes) the GPS started tracking. I tried to upload a picture of the center console and the t-top. The top in lightweight plastic not fiberglass.

Tried powering the units back up today, the Furuno took about 10 minutes to find and lock on the satellites. The Humminbird and the VHF both found signals within minutes.

What external GPS antenna would you recommend?

What do you see when you look at the skyview graph? Tap on the GPS icon at the top of the home screen and see how many satellites are in view.

You might try turning off WAAS in settings and see if it speeds up.

I wonder if the almanac file is corrupted somehow, which o produce a very long time to GPS fix. Have you done the v2 software update and reset?

When I first turn on the unit and go to skyview, it's almost as if there is no GPS antenna at all. Nothing shows. after about 10-15 minutes, it shows the GPS satellites and displays position as normal.

You might try turning off WAAS in settings and see if it speeds up. Turned of WAAS and does not appear to have had an effect of the unit seeing the satellites.

What is the V2 update? I am running version 7.1 (I think) and unit shows current version when I check for software updates.

So I went out and turn the unit back on. Checked data source for "Position" Current - TZT2 12F, "Preferred" LAN. Changed "Preferred" to TZT2 12F. No apparent change, skyview didn't show anything.

it tool a little over 20 minutes to pick up the satellites and display the current position.

Would doing a Reset be of any benefit?

A little bit of additional info. I have the boat sitting on the trailer in the driveway and the SOG is show .5 to 4.5 knots........

joetkach":2oyk4xcy said:
So I went out and turn the unit back on. Checked data source for "Position" Current - TZT2 12F, "Preferred" LAN. Changed "Preferred" to TZT2 12F. No apparent change, skyview didn't show anything.

it tool a little over 20 minutes to pick up the satellites and display the current position.

Would doing a Reset be of any benefit?

There is a major software update for the TZT 3 which is what I was referring to as V. 2. You should download and install it. That might fix your issue by reloading an updated almanac for the GPS and possibly resetting something that is affecting your lock time.

The update has lots of great new features. If you go to the Furuno USA website, you can download the description and the update here: https://www.furunousa.com/en/support/TZT12F

Went to the website and looked at the Version 2. Isn't that just for the TZT3? When i look at the TZT2 software it shows version 7.1 as the latest.

Are you saying that I can upload the TZT3 software to the TZT2?

I don't want to screw up my unit.

Thanks

joetkach":2kn7xw9t said:
Went to the website and looked at the Version 2. Isn't that just for the TZT3? When i look at the TZT2 software it shows version 7.1 as the latest.

Are you saying that I can upload the TZT3 software to the TZT2?

I don't want to screw up my unit.

no your post says TZT 12F which is a TZT 3— you must have a 12L, which is the TZT 2. You cannot use the v2 on the website. I think there is an update for the TZT 2 in the works but it hasn’t been released.

You might try backing up all your data and doing a “hard” factory reset.

Thanks

If you are sure it is receiving good signal but not working correctly, it sounds like it is time to send it in for repair evaluation. I am sure they can figure out what is going on.

I have a humminbird and vhf radio flush mounted right beside the TZT2, the have no issue seeing the satellites and getting a lock.....having to pull the unit and ship my charter business starts to make money is inconvenient.

I have a SCX-20 on order, hopefully that takes care of the issue. Otherwise I will have to be without my primary screen while this is fixed.

The SCX20 will fix your position problems because it is external and best thing since sliced bread. I would still recommend contacting the repair center with your serial number so the problem can be documented before any warranty runs out. Tell them you plan to send it in when more convenient (like during next engine service ect).

Back