TZT14 MFD rebooting

We have had 4 TZTouch/14 reboots in the last 2 months. We have a mixed system.

NN3D BB 2.11
TZ Touch 3.01

In a mixed system, the NN3D is the boss regardless of MFD type.
Your NN3D must be turned on first. If your TZT comes up before the NN3D, it will reboot to allow the NN3D to finish coming up and be "boss". This is normal. You should ALWAYS bring up the NN3D first before the TZT on a mixed system.

I have also seen that if you have an external monitor connected to the TZT; and turn it on after the TZT has been powered on, it can sometimes force a reboot to load drivers. It is best to turn your monitor on first.

Lastly, I have seen reboot caused by SD card issues. if the SD card was displaced while the TZT9/14/BB was working, the TZT9/14/BB may lose the detection and reboot in several minutes. This is because an internal watchdog timer starts working. The watchdog timer is a kind of solution to avoid abnormal situations. There have been many cases of customer pressing on the chart door cover, instead of the power button. This can result in your chart card being displaced or ejected.

The system is doing what it is programmed to do. Furuno Japan will continue to refine and add enhancements to the product. In the mean time, I would recommend that you check your unit, and power up procedure, for the items above.

For those customers outside the Furuno USA area, I cannot speak for your local distributor. If you have an ongoing issue, that you haven't been able to solve, please contact your local distributor and open a support case with them.

@Johnny

First of all thanks for your detailed explanation. I wrote some Posts before that I assumed the internal watchdog causing the reboots.

I also assume that the watchdog ist far too picky. I have no external Monitors, no NN3d to wait for etc etc. The SD Card in use is the Furuno one; when rebooting no one even touches the unit. From my Point of view as an outsider there is some bug "deep" inside the Firmware, causing the watchdog to reboot when by coinsidence some data causing a "buffer overrun" or something like that. From what I learned this Kind of Errors are hard to find by the developers.

Is there any Kind of ebug- or log-mode in the unit? Perhaps with a log file Furuno is able to find out which Status of the unit leads to reboots.......just a wild guess

We are just finishing up a two week voyage and we had both of our TZT 9 and 14 reboot, sometimes at a very unfortunate time. The 14 rebooted after being in use for 5 hours and the 9 a week later after being in use for 2 1/2 hours. We run no external equipment, only Furuno radar, gps and autopilot. When it reboots all the data is still active but sure wish they would get a fix for this. Our local tech installed all the latest software prior to our departure.

Since clearing the unit is not part of the normal update process, I doubt the unit was cleared after programming. You might try some of the actions previously posted. It is important that you open an official support case with your Furuno Distributor/Dealer if it continues; so it can be resolved. For Furuno USA customers you can open a case from our web site (www.FurunoUSA.com), SUPPORT, "Ask Furuno a question".

I have a mixed system and I believe I am the customer that was mentioned in this thread with an external touch screen.
"Recently had a case where a touch screen monitor that was connected to the TZT14 was causing intermittent problem. When it was removed the TZT worked fine. Don't think there is any across the board issue going on. Have you installed the newest software (V3)in the units?"

We have not used our boat longer than a few hours on any trip since we did the upgrade (V3) to the software. We have not had a reboot and do not have the touch screen hooked up. We do not know if the touch screen was the issue causing the reboot, but it was conflicting with something because I was not able to configure the system from it or the TZ with my Planner touchscreen hooked up.

Is there any new information on the Reboots?

Nothing new specific to this subject.
Furuno USA has seen very few issues since going to V3.01 and following the previously discussed actions.

We did discover that Furuno USA customers with Sirius Weather were reporting some issues with missing Marine Zone/forecasts. It turns out that there are extra programming files needed for Furuno USA customers with Sirius weather. For TZTBB customers (All) and TZT14/TZT9 customers that have Sirius weather installed; they should verify that they can turn on and see marine zones. If not, please contact tech support. You might be missing some files for this function and we can quickly help you resolve it.

Last journey of three days: two days no reboots, on one day two reboots...Kind of "funny"

Back