TZT installation

rmenendez

Furuno Fan
View attachment Furuno Installation.pdfI am installing newly purchased Furuno equipment and would appreciate if the proposed method is correct. The Maxsea portion (PC) is already operational and the new equipment to be added are the TZT14, DFF3 and Cisco switches. Additionaly early next year I plan on replacing the Raymarine radar with a Furuno DRS12A which is also drawn in the diagram.What is probably not clear is that the Maxsea PC is already connected to the Raymarine network via NMEA 183/RS232 with all data except AIS being received correctly. In January I plan on connecting the AIS to the TZT via a NMEA 183/NMEA2000 converter. Does this look OK?

Thank you,

Rolando

The only thing I see -which is no big deal- is that when you add the DRS12A, you'll need to add a PSU012 also. Also, I'm assuming the GPS source for the TZT14 and the transducer for the DFF3 are assumed because I don't see them on the drawing. Everything else is good from what I can tell.

Yes, the Comar AIS via NMEA0183-to-NMEA2000 converter should work fine. It's not one of our AIS units, so I cannot say with 100% certainty that it will work, but as long as they followed NMEA0183 standards, it should be fine.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I will have a a PSU012 just did not draw any of the power options. The PC running Maxsea is now receiving the GPS data from the NMEA 0183 connection to the Raymarine unit. I also have into the system, but forgot to draw it, an old Furuno GP30 running as a back-up and the Comar carries its own GPS unit. Dod not say it but the Raymarine radar will be removed once the DRS12A is installed. Do you know if the TZT will receive the data (GPS) from the PC? If not, then I will need to have the data linked directly to the TZT. Today the there are 2 different entrances to the Raymarine unit for NMEA 0183 because of the different baud rates as I believe the AIS is 38400 which is different to everything else. BTW, the Comar is a Class B unit that also transmits. Do you know if Maxsea can have two RS232 connections, one for AIS and another for GPS?

I also did not draw the transducers for the 2 sounders. Snips answered a previous question that I can use a Raymarine B265LH that is now installed on a CP450C which is being removed. I plan on installing an R509LH or R309 during next spring's haul-out.

Again thanks.

Rolando

No, the TZT will not receive GPS from the PC. The data needs to come directly from your GP30 (via NMEA2000 converter) or other source.

Yes, MaxSea can have two RS-232 inputs. They can connect if you have two serial ports on your computer because each port would have independent setting for the correct baud rate; one at 38,400 for AIS and the other at 4,800 for GPS.

I have no problem, I think, to add another serial port to the PC as they are going through a USB converter and I have 2 free USB ports still left. But with the TZT how do I do it so I can add two connections, one for the GPS and another for the AIS? Guess it probably takes using 2 different Actisense converters or better yet add a new Furuno GP300B GPS and one Actisense for the AIS. Can the PC with Maxsea receive the position and AIS data all via ethernet from the TZT so I don't need to have it receiving NMEA0183 from the GP30 or the Comar AIS?

Thanks,

Rolando

Yes, you'll need two separate IF-NMEA2K2 or Actisense converters to bring in GPS and AIS via NMEA0183.

Yes, a GP330B to your DRS12A antenna (when you get it) can provide GPS information and then you'd only need one IF-NMEA2K2 or Actisense converter.

Yes, the MaxSea TZ can receive position and AIS data via Ethernet connection from TZT.

One Actisense is clear, AIS to NMEA 2000. The other also is receiving a lot of information as installed today and some, if not all, is quite desirable. The information is: BWC, GLL, HDG, HDM, HDT, VTG from RM S3 autopilot with fast gyro. Is this a problem? Do I have potential conflicts? I ask as for MARPA the fast heading information is needed. If problems could arise, guess this also could be solved by installing an Airmar GH2183 with both heading and position. That do you advise?

Thanks

One Actisense is clear, AIS to NMEA 2000. The other also is receiving a lot of information as installed today and some, if not all, is quite desirable. The information is: BWC, GLL, HDG, HDM, HDT, VTG from RM S3 autopilot with fast gyro. Is this a problem?
No, that's not a problem.
Do I have potential conflicts?
No, no potential conflicts.
I ask as for MARPA the fast heading information is needed.
Because heading is coming in to NMEA2000 network, just ensure that the update rate is 10Hz (or 100ms) to the converter. ARPA and radar/chartplotter overlay will work fine.

Back