True Wind not showing on TZT Touch

SKOOKUM

I have an FI-501 wind instrument, using an FI-5001 wind transducer. The FI-501 indicates Apparent and True wind correctly. So far, so good.

The FI-501 is connected by drop to an FI-5002 NMEA 2000 Junction Box. Speed and COG info come from an SC-30 sat compass into the J-box by backbone (with a GP-330 as a backup). Also networked to the J-box are two TZT-14 MFDs. (Additionally the two MFDs are connected to an Ethernet Hub 101, which connects to FA-50 AIS and DFF1, but I don't believe this is relevant to my question).

So the problem is that while the FI-501 displays true and apparent wind OK, the TZTs only display apparent. The blue direction arrow (true) hides behind the red arrow (apparent), and both true and apparent display only the apparent wind speed. The input for apparent on the TZTs is set for the FI-501. The input for true is set to NMEA2000 (no other option).

Question is, where is the true wind calculation taking place? I'm presuming it's in the FI-501, which then puts that info onto the NMEA 2000 bus.

Now before any conclusions are drawn, I have to add that WITHOUT ANY CHANGES TO SETTINGS IN THE FI-501 OR TZTs, this setup did work properly for about a month. Then quit again. So I do not believe this is a setup issue.

Any help much appreciated!

Greetings Skookum,
What a great username. Did you know "Skookumchuck" is a Chinook term common in the Pacific Northwest? :cool :D

SKOOKUM":1fpimn27 said:
The FI-501 is connected by drop to an FI-5002 NMEA 2000 Junction Box. Speed and COG info come from an SC-30 sat compass into the J-box by backbone (with a GP-330 as a backup). Also networked to the J-box are two TZT-14 MFDs. (Additionally the two MFDs are connected to an Ethernet Hub 101, which connects to FA-50 AIS and DFF1, but I don't believe this is relevant to my question).

AWA/TWA aside, the SC-30 has an eligible update for it since rollover occurred earlier this year. It is recommended that this update be applied to the SC-30 for best performance.

SKOOKUM":1fpimn27 said:
Question is, where is the true wind calculation taking place? I'm presuming it's in the FI-501, which then puts that info onto the NMEA 2000 bus.

This can be confusing, have you searched the forum? I believe this has been answered before in this post by Johnny Electron with a user concerning his RD33. Otherwise, we have a document that might be able to help decipher this relationship.

View attachment True Wind Calculation and Indication.pdf

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Maggy, thanks for that!

Skookum (the name of our boat) generally implies strength, power, reliability; and sometimes evil! Chuck refers to ocean. Skookumchuck is strong ocean. Check out Skookumchuck Narrows, which is close to our home, and famously runs to 17 knots creating huge waves that surfers love.

Thanks for the heads up on the SC30; I actually did that update earlier this year. I'm currently waiting for a reply from Furuno Support as to whether this is the same issue that's making my FA-50 AIS not transmit my position.

The True Wind Data Calculation and Indication document is very helpful! Obviously the FI-50 uses speed info from the SC-30, as I don't have an STW transducer. I guess it prefers STW input but will default to SOG in the absence of STW. Why any instrument would prefer STW is not clear to me!

Also apparent is that the TZT makes its own true wind calculation. Not apparent is that the source of the speed input is buried in the "Units" menu. My "true wind calculation reference" was set to Surface; now set to Ground. Once we are untied from the dock, I'm hoping this will resolve the problem. More to come!

Maggy, thank you. I have since posting last found those instructions. My problem is my laptop does not have a network LAN plug. Is it possible to update via the TZTs using an SD card? Like the SC30 update? Have not found any instructions for that.

My PC doesn't have a LAN port, to update equipment I use an Amazon Basics USB to Network adapter. Very useful!

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Back