Transducer power

acranmore

I may get brave enough to work on settings and etc on my new TZT12F while trailered. With the transducer on STBY, (standby), is there any power to transducer? Does MFD automatically power up with transducer in stand by mode? Thanks

If you put the fishfinder into standby mode, it stops transmitting. It's very easy to tell especially with a boat out of the water because the audible clicking sound stops.

Everything else on the MFD will function normally so you can update software and manage settings. If you shut the MFD down with the fishfinder transmit off, it will start uo with it in standby.

My small boat is kept on a trailer in the winter and I have done this many times to protect the transducer from overheating elements while making changes to the MFD settings or updating, which can happen without any water on it to cool the surface.

Thanks for the reply. I still wonder how I can listen for the "clicking" sound from the unit while out of water when I am warned that powering transducer out of water, especially the CHIRP units , can cause harm. Can they withstand a short cycle out of water?

I really doubt a few minutes of operation would allow enough heat to build up to damage the transducer elements. I have left mine on for a lot longer than that by accident with no apparent consequences. There are an awful lot of people who aren't aware of the possibility of damage and don't turn off the sounder transmissions yet it seems rare for anyone to experience a transducer failure on a recreational boat as a result.

Back