Touch Encoder-use with multiple screens

hiccup

Furuno Fan
I see that the touch encoder is intended to be used with only one screen. However, I don't really have a great spot for multiple encoders. I'd like to be able to toggle which screen a single touch encoder controls.

As the touch encoder is a USB device, I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried connecting it to multiple TZT screens through a standard USB A/B switch? I use these switches daily and they are very convenient, just not sure it would work in this application. I would mount the A/B switch in a dry location and modify it so that it's controlled by a standard waterproof control switch located conveniently on the dash.

Also, is there general feedback comparing the touch encoder to the MCU-002? I don't have quite enough room for the MCU-004 unless I were to do major surgery. I can see the MCU-004 is able to toggle control of multiple screens but could not figure out if the MCU-002 is able to?

Just as you can't connect two PCs on the same USB hub with one mouse; you can't do that with the TZT2/3 systems either. Hubs can be used for other reasonable purposes but not with multiple MFDs. It would short the usb out between the two units. An A/B switch would most likely work fine as long as you don't encounter too much cable/switch loss. While currently the touch encoders are only for one unit they are talking about changes that will allow them to switch control to other units like the MCU004 does. Hopefully we will see that function in the future but that time is not now.

If you read again, you'll see that I wasn't referring to a USB hub, but rather a USB A/B switch. Connecting one mouse to multiple PC's is exactly the type of application the A/B switch is used for. I am typing through one right now. I have multiple monitors on my desk top connected to multiple PC's, but only one mouse and one keyboard. I use A/B switches to very easily switch which PC the mouse/keyboard is connected to.

I can confirm that a USB A/B switch seamlessly toggles between two TZT3 16 screens. My guess is that this is a better solution than any software implementation they are considering. There is no discernable lag between hitting the switch and having the control activate on the other screen.

I have only just started playing with the touch encoder but it is pretty slick. Software doesn't seem quite done, maybe my unit needs to be updated, not sure. I think it would be more useful if it were a little larger but of course then it couldn't fit in as many places. Having the knob close by to zoom in/out is worth the price of admission IMO.

I wonder if they have plans to make better use of the LCD display other than the sort of lame logo display? You could display depth or some other data there, for instance.

oh and the plastic shell on the USB plug fell off on first insertion, adding to the beta feel. The encoder itself seems high quality and apparently an off-the-shelf item made by Grayhill.

Back