Through Hull transducer recommendation

B

Banjeryak

Hello - Putting together a Furuno electronics package for my new build, looking for advice/thoughts on a through hull transducer.

In addition to the through hull I'll be running a DFF3D box + 165T-TM54 transom mounted transducer. these will be hooked up to 2 TZT3 MFDs.

I fish in relatively shallow water. 10-80ft generally, and wonder if having a CHIRP through hull would really help my fishing all that much - especially considering that I'll be running the DFF3D as well.

Considering: traditional dual channel B60 or CHIRP B75M or H, or possibly B175H/W.

The area I fish has fairly heavy pressure, and I spend a lot of time looking for small and/or overlooked pieces of structure, as well as fishing Menhaden schools for Bass/Bluefish. I figure the DFF3D has me covered for focusing in on small pieces of bottom structure, so I just need my through hull to hold bottom at speed, and give me an idea of what I am passing over.

A few general TZT3 questions:
Can I run DFF3d and the through hull transducer on a single MFD?
Any problems with interference with CHIRP vs DFF3D ?
If I go with a traditional dual channel (B60), will the TZT3 support rez boost and/or bottom discrimination ?

Thanks in advance for your time

Can I run DFF3d and the through hull transducer on a single MFD?
Yes, you can do a split screen with your DFF3D sonar and your traditional fish finder screen. You can save the view also for easy access anytime you change to a different view.

Any problems with interference with CHIRP vs DFF3D ?
Anytime you run two different sounders at the same there is a good chance of seeing interference. This may happen with the DFF3D and UHD, however both units have the ability to be key pulsed (synchronized) to help minimize interference.

If I go with a traditional dual channel (B60), will the TZT3 support rez boost and/or bottom discrimination ?

Airmar B60 for us is a 525T-LTD/12 or 525T-LTD/20. Those model transducers do support bottom discrimination and Rez-Boost is built into the software of our sounders for beam sharpening.

Just to let you know, those are tilted element transducer, is that what you are looking for?

I am also fitting out a new 29' boat with similar fishing characteristics.

In the past, I have had less than stellar results with transom transducers in general.

I think J Electron, in another post mentioned that new transducers would be coming out "soon" for the TZ3. By any chance, do you know if a flush through hull might be on the drawing boards for the DFF3D?

We currently do have a flush mount transducers for the DFF3D, 165T-B54. You can use the high speed fairing block or mount in the keel to be flush without the fairing block.

Thanks for the replies kicker,

Regarding the tilted element, I would defer to the builder. I believe that the sponson where it would be placed has approx 14 degrees of deadrise.

Do you have any thoughts regarding traditional transducer vs CHIRP for my situation ? The sense I get from asking around is that the benefits of CHIRP are less noticeable at the shallow depths I typically fish.

Banjeryak":d3p4zx1p said:
Do you have any thoughts regarding traditional transducer vs CHIRP for my situation ? The sense I get from asking around is that the benefits of CHIRP are less noticeable at the shallow depths I typically fish.

The right frequency transducer for your depth paired with the TZT3 Internal TruEcho CHIRP software will make it noticeable for you, when it comes to target separation and the way targets appear on the screen. So if you’re only fishing in 10-80ft of water as you stated above, I would say a high frequency transducer or a high wide would work well for you.

With our traditional sounder (50/200) on the TZT3, you still will get good results, it's not the transducers that makes Furuno, it's the software inside of the sounders is what makes all the magic happen. We have Rez-Boost built into TZT3 and with the feature turned on, it enhances the image with a compatible transducer. Either way you go, I think you would be satisfied.

kicker":2tfb0wdv said:
We currently do have a flush mount transducers for the DFF3D, 165T-B54. You can use the high speed fairing block or mount in the keel to be flush without the fairing block.

Are there any photos available od a 165T-B54 flush mounted in the keel without a fairing? I’m having a 25’ CC built and I am trying to figure out the best option to mount a 165T-XXX.

I don't have one but some users here might. Here are some photos of a DFF3D combo transducer install and there are also examples of mounting a combo transducer in the Furuno Connections Season One videos.

Attachments

• Transducer install.pdf
    153.5 KB · Views: 29
Back