Sounder problems

rmenendez

Furuno Fan
Finally finished installation on a new DFF1-UHD to complement existing DFF3. To highlight that installation of the new sounder module uses 2 transducers as discussed with Snips, a B265LH and a B175W via selector switch. The B265 was connected up to last week to a Raymarine chirp module. DFF3 uses an R309 transducer. Both the Raymarine and DFF3 were working fine for the past year. The MFD used are 2 TZT14 and 2 computers running the new Nobeltec TZ Professional.

I find now I have 3 problems. The DFF1 appears to be working fine with both transducers but notice that the low frequency appears to be significantly weaker that when operating with the RM module. I will continue fine tuning unit to see if I can make it work better. The system worked fine on both TZT's but refused to work on the Nobeltec saying no connection.The menu option for the sounder has the transmit option unmarked and if I select it it works for a few seconds and unmarks itself again. Before the installation of the DFF1-UHD it worked fine in all units.

The DFF3 though is now a major issue. Both sounders worked for about 6 hours fine, except for the notes above, Now the DFF3 will not transmit at all and presents an empty screen. When I check to see if there are issues in the configuration I find that the transducer configuration for the low frequency changes by itself. There is no way to make the unit work. Cay you help? I have screen shots of the configuration that I can send so you can see them.

Thank you.

Rmenendez,
Interesting issues.
At this time it's hard to say exactly what is happening. The first thing I would do is to break the system in half by disconnecting the two computers. Run only the two TZT-14's, DFF3 and UHD module to see what happens. If the system is stable, then try adding one of the two computers. Let me know the results.

Snips

Will try but yesterday I tried once with no computers on and the same problems with the DFF3. I will disconnect the PC's from the switch this time. As you can see in attached snapshot they were not showing in the network sensors list.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• NN4 Snapshot 2016-05-30-16-10-53.png
    NN4 Snapshot 2016-05-30-16-10-53.png
    492.8 KB · Views: 2,424
STBD TZT.pngPORT TZT.pngSnips,

Did the test this morning with both PC's disconnected from the switch and the same results. One thing I forgot to mention. A few weeks ago I updated the firmware on the TZT displays and they "feel" much slower in startup. I measured the time this morning and from pressing ON button they take 1:30 to display first message (requiring acceptance). From there I immediately get sounder screen and chart with AIS targets displayed but no chart details. These take an additional 30 seconds. Somehow, its does not seem the same as before.

Anyway, the DFF1-UHD is still working correct, with my earlier comments still valid, but the DFF3 is still no working. Once again, the transducer configuration for the low frequency reverted back to 50 with 0 bandwidth when I had previously set it for 35 with 17 bandwidth.
This time I noticed something which I did not mention but was there yesterday. One TZT showed a little detail but did not move in the high frequency with depth ranges displayed while the other TZT has absolutely nothing. Snapshots attached. The LED from the sounder is showing it is working and in fact is sending the sea temperature correctly. Second picture is the master display.

Thanks for your help,

Rolando

Rmenendez,
Thank you for the additional info.
I ran into a similar situation last week on a TZT2 that was displaying a blank sounder display. It turned out that the one with the blank display was actually in the Stand-By mode. Normally if it is in Stand-By it should be displayed but it wasn't, we reported this back to Japan. If the DFF3 reverts back to 50Khz please try this, the DFF3 only to one TZT. If it still does it like this let me know what version of SW you updated the TZT to.

Snips

Snips,

When I turn the TZT's on I usually start the master unit and wait until it is fully finished loading and the chart/sounder split screen is visible. It was on with the DFF1-UHD and the sounder worked as usual. Then I started the second unit which I normally have with full radar and changed to the sounder option which was already using the DFF3 and took the snapshot I sent. I then changed the sounder selection in the master TZT to the DFF3 to see what was on the transducer low frequency settings and confirmed that it had reverted back to 50 kHz. I also noticed that the sounder screen showed nothing, not even depth ranges in the low frequency portion and did in the high frequency but the screen was not moving - it was totally still and looked very similar to what I saw the previous day.

I then closed the menu and again selected full screen sounder option using the DFF3 and took the snapshot. I also made sure both TZT units were showing the sounder as in transmit mode as I was having the sounder in standby on the PC's running Nobeltec. In fact, on the Nobeltec both sounders were in standby and, as mentioned before, would go active for a few seconds and then back to standby by themselves but only as far as the PC's were concerned as they were still both working on the TZTs for 8 hours but not on the PC's.

The version number on the TZT is 4.11 as I think is reflected on the screenshot sent at the beginning of the thread. Don't really know what else to try.

Thanks,

Rolando

Snips, decided to make one more test on my own using only the master TZT and remove the DFF1-UHD from the network. At first, the sounder was doing the same. I checked the transducer configuration and the right numbers were there. Then I started playing with the demo mode and at one point the demo stopped on its own after I pressed the key for heaving correction. I changed back to real mode and the sounder started working. Is it possible there are conflicts between the 2 TZT or the 2 sounder modules? What should I do?

Thanks,

Rolando

Rmenendez,
It doesn't sound like you just tried one TZT to the UHD and one to the DFF3 or did I misunderstand your last post? Also what Nobletec SW are you using as I will be meeting with them tomorrow.

Snips

I did two tests yesterday. The first was as you asked with one TZT using the DFF3 and the other the DFF1. Then went a second time and removed the DFF1 from the network, just like I did with the PC's. Then only turned on one TZT while the other unit was completely off but not disconnected from the switch. All these changes incremental, ie. PC's were also disconnected.

The Nobeltec I am using is the latest V3 Professional that was released just a few weeks ago. I spoke with Tyler at their customer service on a different issue, AIS connectivity, but when I called about this problem on Monday they were in training.

Thanks,

Rolando

Rmenendez,
I am curious have you set the IP addresses on the UHD and the DFF3. This needs to be internally via dip switches.

Snips

Snips,

Yesterday made more tests and beginning to get some improvements. The problem is not knowing why. Anyway, with only master TZT and DFF3/radar in the network. First the DFF3 was doing the same thing and I decided to set the sounder on demo mode. Played with it for 5 minutes and returned to the "real" mode and all of a sudden the sounder is working. I then decided to go incrementally from there without turning off the units that were on. Started with second TZT, then added the fly PC and they all worked with the DFF3. Next I connected the UHD and tested the TZT and PC changing to both sounders and it worked. Then last added the cockpit PC but here I got the no connection message on the sounder option but only on that PC as all other equipment was working fine.

I called Nobeltec and asked C/S what to do and the person I spoke to at first said too many MFD's/PC in the system but I told him it was not correct as all worked when only one sounder was present in the system. He said the head of technical was traveling and they would let me know when he will be back as he did not know where to check next.

I did not have time to run test, now that I got the DFF3 working, to see if all the MFD/PC would work with only DFF3 in the system. Will try this today. As to your question which I think goes to IP address conflicts, the dip switches I believe are right. The DFF3 has IP address 172.31.92.1 while the UHD has 172.31.92.2. I posted the network sensor screenshot here as this was my first problem area checked. I don't have now the complete PC IP addresses but remember one ended with 50 and the other 51.

Will let you know how it comes out from today's test.

Rolando

Snips,

Just a quick follow-up. It seems that the problem with Nobeltec TZ was created by the TD-ID in the DFF1-UHD. The Maxsea people in Europe were very quick to identify the issue whereas in the US they were not. It may have also help create the other problem with the DFF3 but its all working now.

Rolando

Rmenendez,
So are you saying you needed to disconnect the Orange TID wire in the UHD module for the DFF3 to work with Nobletec?

Snips

Snips,

That is what the Maxsea tech support told me to do. What I did first, and it worked, was set dip switch 7 to on so no TD-ID was sent to the network and that worked. It was easier for me to do that than disconnect the orange wire. If that had not worked, I would have gone that way next. From the way they quickly directed me that way it sounds like a known issue.

Rolando

Rmenendez,
Thank you for your clarification.
I have heard that the UHD's TID function has caused some Nobletec systems grief, but I haven't heard of it affecting a DFF3 before. That's one I will log in the old memory bank.

Snips

Snips,

I think that even though it was the UHD that had the problem it somehow, although I cannot remember exactly what I was trying, it also affected the TZT's. That was the strange part for me as well. In addition to the DFF3 not being seen by Nobeltec as soon as I had the UHD in the system.

Thanks for your help.

Rolando

Back